Sign in to follow this  

[SOLD] Campground/Hostel in or around Sheffield

Guest Guest

Hi everybody,

I'm from the Netherlands and visiting Sheffield from the 29th of april till...to see the Embassy snooker at the Crusible. I'm wondering where I can find a cheap place to spend a couple of nights in Sheffield. I'm bringing a tent, so a campground would be good enough, although that will be difficult in the city itself. I've been looking on the internet for hostels, but I just can't seem to find something in the city.

I hope someone can help me (maybe somebody has a garden where I can pitch my tent...;-))

Jos

You could camp somewhere near Castleton, the scenery's lovely there and there's loads of camp sites. I stayed at a campsite at Hope a couple of years ago and it was opposite the station. That'd be very useful for catching the train to Sheffield because the trains are fairly regular (about every 2 hours I think, it's 30 min journey).

Just a suggestion.....

Guest Guest

there is a really good campsite in hope valley nr castleton called hardhurst farm cheapest and best we have used this site regularaly or there is 1 on manchester rd near rivelin valley post office not sure of name

I can heartily recommend Fieldhead campsite in Edale. Close to the station.

But, be warned! Campsites in the UK are nowhere near as good as the ones in Germany and the Netherlands. The facillities are much more spartan.

yeah, castleton is brimming with campsites, but TBH if its only you and for a couple of nights you might be better off staying in one of the cheaper hotels in the CC, not only will it be dryer, it'll save you alot in travelling costs

Thanks for the tip, but do you perhaps know what the cheaper hotels are and what do they cost per night?!

jos

Travel Lodge or Travel inn will cost around £45 per night per room, there are a few of these around Sheffield. These rooms are OK for a family or 2 people as it works out cheap.

You will find both of these on the web

I'm hoping to open a youth hostel in the near future to cater for people like yourself. All we have at the moment is a youth hostel just out side of the city in Langsett, they have a web site via the YHA site. There are some cheap bed and breakfast places, the tourist board only recomend the star rated places which are more expensive. If you get stuck you could probably camp in our garden!

Do you think you could maybe email me at contrastphotography@email.com, and let me know the type of accomodation you were hoping to find and how much you were expecting to pay, it would help us with the hostel. Thanks, it would be much appreciated.

Originally posted by "Malaika"

I'm hoping to open a youth hostel in the near future to cater for people like yourself. All we have at the moment is a youth hostel just out side of the city in Langsett, they have a web site via the YHA site. There are some cheap bed and breakfast places, the tourist board only recomend the star rated places which are more expensive. If you get stuck you could probably camp in our garden!

Do you think you could maybe email me at contrastphotography@email.com, and let me know the type of accomodation you were hoping to find and how much you were expecting to pay, it would help us with the hostel. Thanks, it would be much appreciated.

oh, is this the mystery project you were talking about then? I actually think it's a very good idea.

Hi Lickszz, I thought you might find this! :D

Glad you agree it's a good idea, I wish the council would see it that way. They're not exactly making it easy for us to get it off the ground at the moment. We don't need a five star hotel as much as we need the Stop-in Sheffield Independant Youth Hostel (!). We are losing revenue as people like our Netherlands guest find cheap places to stay outside of the city.

Cheap B and B's can be found in the Yellow pages, although they'll be getting booked up for the snooker. The cheapest places are about £18.00 a night. Look on the Sheffield tourist info site, they have some places listed for between £18 and £20 I think. I also think they can get you booked in by e mail.

Failing that there's still the garden!

Hi,

whilst taking a walk through Rivelin valley last Sunday we noticed a farm notice that sold fressh free range eggs and campsite.

It is just before you get to Rivelin Post office if someone can give our netherlands visitor better directions.

Hagg Hall Farm or something similar. May take a peek next time we go.

Moon Maiden