"rate a trader" your thoughts please

Its interesting that all the replies seem to be from tradesmen.It would be good to get some views from potential users.

Is it a servive you would like/use?

would you be prepared to pass on information to help others make a more informed decision?

over to you folks

Whilst I agree the idea in principal, I am not sure this is the correct way forward.

There are areas for recommendation which are already working on this forum.

Word of mouth from experience appears to work well.

We have had the services of a great Electrician and Roofer, both from recommendations on this forum.

We in turn are more than happy to provide positive feedback.

If were not happy with the services of any tradesperson, we simply would not provide any feedback.

I think a database may provide misleading information, (I agree with Mayfield's views) that a job which appears to well done may not be as per a legal spec which is essential in some areas for insurance, certificates etc.

I think the forum should continue to use the more informal approach as is used at present. It still allows the customer the opportunity to contact the tradesmen with feedback and make their own descisions (attitude, price credentials etc)

and the first time you give a "review" a bad one, if there are any.... just think what that trader could do/hold responsible on a legal side of things!

Not sure this would work. People just wouldn't do it. Posting a recommendation on a thread is one thing but filling a form and emailing it will put people off.

Also open to abuse by people recommending their husbands and slagging off their competition.

There is a thread on here about tradespeople but it got too full of chat and junk. I actually offered to clean it up fo the mods but they weren't interested.