Dialing code for sheffield before 0114

So, just to be clear, in 1992 not only did the code change to 0114, but the digit 2 was inserted in front of existing numbers. That extra digit created lots of free numbers.

So, explain again why the code needed to change?

Was there something wrong with dialling

01742 2345678

It was in 1995, not 1992. The code needed to change because if they did what you did above, it would have meant Sheffield had 12 digit phone numbers, which are not allowed. Sheffield needed to be given a 4 digit code to allow 7 digit local numbers, hence the complete change. It's not that hard to understand!

Apperently when the STD codes started in the late 50s i.e. when Sheffield was given 0742 the middle numbers were the abbreviations of the city where the exchange was, so SH for Sheffield was 74, LE for Leeds was 53 etc. I think O used 0 rather than 6 so Rotherham had 70. Not sure how the numbers either side were decided though.

I never knew why letters were printed on phone keys - Now of course they are used to Text on mobile phones but the numbering/lettering convention comes from many years ago.

Edited by mike142sl

Didn't an earlier post say that the Sheffield number was 0742, then had a 1 inserted making it 01742, then changed again to the current 0114?

But the change to 01742 never happened:confused:

Sheffield went from 0742 to 0114.

But the change to 01742 never happened:confused:

Cyclone was a bit confused, bless him.

is it true that they're going to change the area code again in a few years time?

is it true that they're going to change the area code again in a few years time?

No - the area code for Sheffield is 0114 and there are still MILLIONS of numbers left!

All the numbers from 0114 4xxxxxx to 0114 9 xxxxxxx have yet to be released by OFCOM, and there are thousands in the 0114 3xxxxxx range remaining - why would they change it???

If anything, they might bring Barnsley, Rotherham and Doncaster in under the 0114 range, in a similar way that the 0191 code in the North East serves different towns - an 0191 5xxxxxx number is Sunderland, for example - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0191

So for example, 0114 2xxxxxx and 0114 3xxxxxx - Sheffield, with 0114 4xxxxxx saved for Sheffield.

0114 5xxxxxx - Rotherham

0114 6xxxxxx - Barnsley

0114 7xxxxxx - Doncaster

It would free up millions of numbers for each area, and there would still be the 0114 8xxxxxx and 0114 9xxxxxx to divvy out should any area need anymore!

Edited by Ginger Daddy

I certainly remember the 0742 area code. Can anyone tell me more about the old local area code of 951 please? I seem to remember using this in the early-mid 80s when I lived in Eckington but cant remember any other details!

I certainly remember the 0742 area code. Can anyone tell me more about the old local area code of 951 please? I seem to remember using this in the early-mid 80s when I lived in Eckington but cant remember any other details!

There is some info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0114

You'll all make your mind up

if they did what you did above, it would have meant Sheffield had 12 digit phone numbers, which are not allowed.

and

Originally Posted by sccsux View Post

But the change to 01742 never happened

Cyclone was a bit confused, bless him.

So if it didn't happen (which you don't seem to be sure of).

Then there was no need to change the code at all.

0742 insert extra digit - rest of original number

would have worked just fine wouldn't it.

So then what was the reason for changing from 0742 to 0114, was it just to free up 07 to be allocated to mobiles?

and

So then what was the reason for changing from 0742 to 0114, was it just to free up 07 to be allocated to mobiles?

probably for that reason

and

no, you`ve been told - there never was a 01742 even though many jumped the gun and published it, the extra digit was to increase the amount of numbers available, how ever the whole phone day was to allow "enhanced" services inc mobiles and other premium services, most of which never saw the light of day due to ADSL

I hadn't seen a post yet which mentioned 'enhanced services'.

The combination of those two things, not being able to have a 12 digit number, needing to increase the allocation for the Sheffield area (hence no 01742) and freeing up the 07 range for mobiles explains the need for a complete change of std.

It's a bit short sighted to leave Rotherham as 01709 though, when they need an extra digit to make more numbers available they'll need a new dialling code again. That could have been avoided by changing the code in the first place and not inserting an extra '1'.