Dialing code for sheffield before 0114

I mentioned these earlier in the thread!

No excuse for it really...

At first I thought Ginger was whipping up a storm in a teacup, but that article and the responses just beggar belief with their monumental stupidity. :loopy:

I mean I can understand how a few (not very bright) people might have followed this line of thought:

0742 xxx xxx

01742 xxx xxx

01142 xxx xxx

But for the city's newspaper to compound their ignorance by presenting the natural growth to seven figure numbers starting with three as a "number change" is beyond fathom really. :/

Edited by Max Power

I mentioned these earlier in the thread!

No excuse for it really...

yeah i mentioned it had been mentioned!:hihi: can you spot any more who still have the old number on display?

It did change for a time to 01742, where I worked at the time had to up-date their letter heads then it went to 0114.

No it didn't! :rolleyes:

If people think the dialling code for Sheffield is 01142 then WHERE do I live as one of my numbers is 01143 ??? :help: ???

Some parts of Sheffield had the code 0741 5 xxxxx before 1979, when some local exchanges like Ecclesfield where brought into the Sheffield numbering scheme.

yeah i mentioned it had been mentioned!:hihi: can you spot any more who still have the old number on display?

I mentioned Guernsey Road Garage before - who go one better than H Harrold and Son by actually having the 0742 in their sign! - but unfortunately Google Street View deemed Guernsey Road undeserving of the Street View car.

I also remember the disability shop on West Street not updating its signage, before it moved on a couple of years ago.

I could name loads of companies who have 01142 on their signage though.

It did change for a time to 01742

It certainly wasn't supposed to; the day on which all exchanges had the 1 inserted after the initial zero was the same day on which the 0113,0114,0115... codes were introduced.

Perhaps they foresaw the problems and had anyone dialling "01742" simply redirected to the correct number?

It certainly wasn't supposed to; the day on which all exchanges had the 1 inserted after the initial zero was the same day on which the 0113,0114,0115... codes were introduced.

Perhaps they foresaw the problems and had anyone dialling "01742" simply redirected to the correct number?

The 1 was added to the numbers outside of Leeds, Sheffield, Nottingham, Leicester and Bristol on the same day those five areas got their new area code of 0113, 0114...and so on. Those five areas moved straight from their old four digit area code (I think Leeds was 0532?) to the new ones we see today.

So I cant see how Sheffield had 01742 for any length of time.

Although I was young and was not in the area then.

Of course, mr google comes up with some diverse hits for "01742 sheffield" - including this thread.

There's a recent register of dog breeders including a sheffield one still purporting to be 01742, a planning application dated '05 with a company reference, but perhaps a mnore definitive one from the DTI dated 1995

(http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file11274.pdf) which has "HSE Public Enquiry Point on 01742 892345"

On the other hand, several places, including the never-known-to-be-wrong wikipedia, say it never existed, and the change was straight for 0742 to 0114.

Before the code changes that turned Sheffield from 0742 into 0114, there used to be some abbreviated local area codes.

I lived in the Barnsley area (code 0226), and if I wanted to dial a Sheffield number, I could dial 92 123456 rather than 0742 123456. And Rotherham was 96 123456 as well as 0709 123456. There may have been others, but they're the ones I remember.

I guess these had to be stopped in case Barnsley ever got round to issuing numbers beginning with 92/96. But they were pretty useful!