WHo do I report a nasty/aggressive/dangerous dog to?

hope your dog recovers soon please let us know how it goes. Must be horrible for you and your puppy

Im aware they dont respond classic rock meant just so there aware of the situation

Cuddlycats if you go the council route this is maybe what they will ask and want

Time and date of the incident.

Exact location of the incident e.g. house number and street.

Description of offending dog – colour, breed, size, sex, whether the dog had a collar or tag.

Address of dog. If the address is unknown, possibly ask neighbours or follow the dog home and note the address.

Is the dog at large and where was it when you last saw it?

If you have spoken to the owner, what was their response?

The name, address and phone numbers of any witnesses to the attack.

What injuries, if any, were sustained by the animal or person that was attacked? Is a vet's or doctor's report available?

Take photographs of the injuries if they're serious. The investigating officer may do this for you.

Your phone numbers - home, work and mobile.

The investigating officer will need a written and signed statement from you and any witnesses to the attack.

You might want to ask other dog owners in the local area if they've had similar expereinces with this dog. If you have a couple of examples of occasions when this dog has shown dangerous and agressive behaviour then you'll have more of a case for the dog warden to do something. Otherwise your case could get written off as a one off incident.

Unfortuntely I suspect you wont get much action taken. The stupid way the law works means an agressive dog will have to hurt a person before anyone will do anything!

Sue, I hope your dog gets better soon!

Reading this thread makes me quite nervous to be honest: is it really that difficult to start some sort of an action against such an irresponsible owner? Sue, can you please tell us where it happened and what the dog and the owner looked like?

I'm only asking this because I'm really scared and would do anything to avoid such a dog/owner. My dog has anxiety-based aggression issues too and it really is a work of a lifetime to keep him under full control and relaxed about strange dogs. I worked my guts out to convince him that it's ok and safe to play with other dogs and I know how easily he looses trust and gets tense and defensive for weeks again after an incident with an aggressive dog, not to mention the danger of serious injuries.

WW

From my experience these types of dogs are very very few and far between.

But I know someone who tried to take similar action and ended up dropping the matter because she found it so difficult to to get anywhere. Whilest most dog owners view their dog as a member of their family in the eyes of the law your dog is just an asset.

the police do repsond somebody on my road there dog attacked another for about the 100 time , the police came round and said, to be aware the dog can be nasty, that was it and left, they do nothing which is discusting

An update on the situation. I have spoken to other dog owners around, and I've heard one "rumour" that this has happened before, but I can't use this as evidence obviously since it's just hearsay.

I did however report the incident to the dog warden, simply because I don't want this to happen again. I told them what happened, and also explained that I simply want the owner to be told he must keep his dog under control (use a lead and or muzzle etc) I was told - by the animal control unit - that they can't tell someone to keep a dog on a lead!! I was gobsmaked to be honest. They seemed more interested in telling me to sue him for the vet bill.

I have looked into this further, and found an interesting leaflet on a government website which states - "If your dog injures another person’s

animal, or an owner of an animal

reasonably believes that they could be

injured if they intervened to protect their

animal from your dog, then an offence may

be committed"

Even so, I would imagine from the response I've got from the dog wardens, that it would be pretty difficult to pursue, unless a person is injured.

On a happier note, my dog seems to be on the mend, we take him back to see the vet tomorrow, who will decide if he needs surgical intervention. (Fingers crossed that he doesn't)

It was at Handsworth where the incident took place by the way.

Thanks again for all the responses.

oh my good lord we walk at handsworth what sort of dog is it please so i can keep an eye out? also what does owner look like. felin a bit worried nw. ps glad your pooch is on mend and hasnt made him frightened

I asked around on the park about this, as it interested me where we stood. I spoke to an ex copper whose dog had been killed by 3 leaded dogs. The owner of the other dogs couldnt keep them all under control and his small dog was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He said nothing happened as result. He reported it to the police and dog warden, who both tried to fob him off. He couldnt even convince them to even go round and tell the owners to keep them under control.

So the harsh message is that if you really want anything to happen you need to get the other dog to cause visable marks on you in order to press charges.

oh my good lord we walk at handsworth what sort of dog is it please so i can keep an eye out? also what does owner look like. felin a bit worried nw. ps glad your pooch is on mend and hasnt made him frightened

I'm not sure of the breed to be honest, it kind of like a greyhound build, but bigger, and brown. His owner is a guy probably in his 30s.

I too am feeling a bit annoyed that it looks as if a person has to be physically wounded by a dog, before something can be done. I know that all dogs have different temperaments, and that some are more aggressive than others, but a responsible owner (which I'm sure most of us are) should take this into account, and behave accordingly. I don't think its too much to ask.