Middlewood Hospital

Thanks very much iphonelover for this link to the middlewood site, its very interesting. I worked in the estate department from 1970 and was around during the sits demise as a hospital. I actually appear in a couple of the photos and recognise quite a few more.

Thanks again

You should contact the site owner and give your name and anyone else name you recognise, any info he is happy to receive as it helps build the site and

Helps accuracy of the history :)

I have lived on the estate that is springing up in the old hospital grounds for around 18 months. The place really intrigues me with the main mens ward now well on the way to refurbishment.I have just heard that the clock tower has been saved from demolition and will undergo some sort of restoration in the near future. I have spoken to people who have worked in the hospital in the past and everyone talks about what a close knit community it was. There was a real sense of a family atmosphere about the place. I would love to view any old photos of the place or listen to stories from people who have worked there in the past.

The only memory i have is going there in the early eighties to try and capture one of the wild kittens that lived in the grounds, to take home as a family pet. Good job i never managed to catch one really....mmmmm.

I went to Middlewood on my first placement as a pre-nursing student and I was 16 and terrified. My mum said if you can stand this then you will finish the course. Which I did and Im now a senior staff nurse.

Iworked at Middlewood from Oct 73 to dec 75 while training

Was intresting to read the various comments wondered if I knew Skirkydaves dad

I travelled from Doncaster with some colleagues every day for 3 years does anyone remember Bill Shuck our tutor he was a character any staff out their from this period

Ienjoyed my time their some of the patients were characters in their own right

and so were many of the staff.

Iworked at Middlewood from Oct 73 to dec 75 while training

Was intresting to read the various comments wondered if I knew Skirkydaves dad

I travelled from Doncaster with some colleagues every day for 3 years does anyone remember Bill Shuck our tutor he was a character any staff out their from this period

Ienjoyed my time their some of the patients were characters in their own right

and so were many of the staff.

Hi Tony, been racking my brains trying to remember some of my work colleagues:

There was a guy named Bernie in our class ( he sung in a local gospel choir)and another called Alistair, the last I heard about him he was an International terrorist ( I kid you not). Lovely girl called Alison ( my first love).

I remember Roy who was manager of heavy industry unit ( ex jockey). Sandra Bradley worked on Occupational therapy unit ( 2nd love !).

I'm sure more will come to me.

Great times !

We had a lady in our Home had been in middlewood she had depression they Took her baby away as she was pregnant and she had a front labotomy and Electric treatment she cant even speak how it left her was horific

Just go on to Middlewood Hospital quite a few phots on this site.

Hi Tony, been racking my brains trying to remember some of my work colleagues:

There was a guy named Bernie in our class ( he sung in a local gospel choir)and another called Alistair, the last I heard about him he was an International terrorist ( I kid you not). Lovely girl called Alison ( my first love).

I remember Roy who was manager of heavy industry unit ( ex jockey). Sandra Bradley worked on Occupational therapy unit ( 2nd love !).

I'm sure more will come to me.

Great times !

I was a mate of Alistair Reynolds. You're right about his politics. He was an anarchist and I found him a really nice bloke. I kept in touch with him for a few years. Sadly he committed suicide sometime in the mid 1980's.

I have fond memories of my time as a Student Nurse and afterwards worked at the NGH until 1983.

I worked at Middlewood from 1967 to 1970 as a trainee cook. We lived at Fairlawn, which was a large semi at the bottom of the drive which eventually became an ambulance station. My Dad was Free Church Chaplain there from 1966 to 1976. Have many happy memories of life in the kitchens, there were a number of us all about the same age either training like me or were kitchen porters.

hi anyone remember jim he was the charge nurse for ward 41 he always let you know he was in charge and had many a nurse in tears if rules were broken but not like now a days he always made sure his patients were well looked after and I remember he put on some great staff parties at Christmas time j

I was there when a patient threw himself under a lorry, had to attend coroners court as witness for the lorry driver who came from Lancashire.

---------- Post added 30-12-2013 at 11:11 ----------

A friend worked at M/Wood as student nurse for ages her name is Judy Tesh.