Middlewood Hospital

Does anyone remember the staff and social club at Middlewood Hospital. I know it was there in the late 70's and early 80's as I was often there as a child.

I left middlewood to start a family 1982. I trained there. bennett was the name do you remenber a sister sables

lived on winn gardens and i always remember when my mum worked at the hospital she always told us not to be frightened of the patients as most were locked up for what we would class today as nothing i.e. post natal depression, learning difficulties, for being gay, etc. Sometimes the patients would get out and come in the houses on the estate but all you did was ring the hospital and they would come and fetch them.As for the hospital grounds they were spooky and everyone has their own ghost story to tell.

i have a memory of middlewood many years ago i used to nurse there ,i reported for a night duty and a iwas relieving they sent me to award i had not worked before well i was given a brief handover and the charge nurse had to go to another ward leaving me alone this normaly would not be a problem .i did a ward round and all was quite everyone asleep so i went to the kitchen to make myself a drink ,asi turned with drink in hand sat at the table alittle old lady i don t mind saying it quite took my breath away but she informed me she always had a cup of tea at this time so i made her one when i turned round she had gone so i went on the ward to look for her but all was quite nobody had moved so ithought she must have strayed off another ward ,later i was talking to the staff nurse she said there was no one of that discription on these wards .then she said the lady in question was a ghost and there had been many sighting of her at night .myself i prefer to think she just strayed off another ward but that was many years ago but i have never ever forgot

The other thing was the wards were lit with blue lights to keep the patients calm. to this day i can't go past a blue light without thinking of those wards.When i was little we used to dare each other to go in the hospital grounds at night, well yes you've guessed i took a dare up. I went up near the old church and as i went passed it i heard footsteps turned round and there was nothing carried on and they started again so i ducked into the church doorway then saw a little old lady who said she was lost so me being really brave said i'd take her back to the nearest ward and took her hand which felt icey cold. We then started of to the nearest ward but as we got further up the driveway my hand went warm i turned round and she had dissappeared. I've never ran so fast in my life straight home and into bed, never did do anymore dares.

The other thing was the wards were lit with blue lights to keep the patients calm. to this day i can't go past a blue light without thinking of those wards.When i was little we used to dare each other to go in the hospital grounds at night, well yes you've guessed i took a dare up. I went up near the old church and as i went passed it i heard footsteps turned round and there was nothing carried on and they started again so i ducked into the church doorway then saw a little old lady who said she was lost so me being really brave said i'd take her back to the nearest ward and took her hand which felt icey cold. We then started of to the nearest ward but as we got further up the driveway my hand went warm i turned round and she had dissappeared. I've never ran so fast in my life straight home and into bed, never did do anymore dares.

thankyou i now feel i maybe not so mad we most likely met the same old lady it has gave me the heebies and i most likely did nt want to believe it then so it was most interesting to read your account when i worked there i heard many stories of ghost but that was my only personel experience

Photographs of Middlewood Hospital/asylum

There is a website called picturesheffield.com (I'm not allowed to post the url but put the three Ws in front and you'll find it) and search under Hospitals and/or Middlewood where you'll find a number of fascinating turn-of-the-century photos of Middlewood Hospital, its grounds and some of its people.

Im not sure if my messages keep being moved but if you do live in or near the new estate visit wadsleyparkvilage.co.uk .

Im not sure if my messages keep being moved but if you do live in or near the new estate visit wadsleyparkvilage.co.uk .

Daniel

I've tried to register on the WPV site on two occasions and the site does not recognise the authenticity code when entered. :mad: This could of course be an IT fault at my end. Wonder if anyone else has had the same problems.

It is a frustration because i want to get posting on the forums,

Any feedback would be appreciated

my uncle was a long term patient at middlewood hospital - my gran took me up there once a month to take him cigs ... then of course came the care in the community and the security of the place was taken away for many of those long term patients. :(

My maternal grandmother was committed to Middlewood in the late 1940s after having a child out of wedlock (my mum) and responding, so I understand, with some anger and frustration towards the family of the father of the child. She remained there, I think, until the late 50s or early 60s when she 'escaped'. Her name was Muriel Newbould. My mum and other family members have no idea what happened to her. If there is anybody still looking at this thread who might be able to shed any light or remembers Muriel it would be great if you could post a reply.