Sign in to follow this  

Joseph Gordon-Levitt resemblance to Heath Ledger - anyone else noticed this

I have just been to see - and really enjoyed - (500) Days of Summer. At the end both me and OH commented on how much Joseph Gordon-Levitt reminded us of a young Heath Ledger (who he actually starred with in 10 Things I Hate About You). Its not just an appearance thing, there's something in his characteristics too.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Yup - it was discussed on various film-rumour websites straight after Dark Knight came out. Nolan had stated that Joker was supposed to be used in the next film (possibly to a minor degree like Scarecrow was in Dark Knight). Everyone began wondering whether Nolan would still go ahead with it, and discussions of replacements began.

Now Levitt is starring in Nolan's next film, Inception, and some are seeing this as him 'testing out' Levitt before he decides on whether to include Joker or not (some fanboys were reporting back in Feb that Levitt had already signed to play Joker, being a tad confused that Nolan was making another film before then and that is what Levitt signed to)

They do indeed look the same, but can Levitt pull off the same performance? Don't get me wrong, I do rate Levitt, I'm just not sure he can pull it off.

Trivia time: The two of them starred together in 10 Things I Hate About You

I thought: 'Surely not? That geeky little kid from Third Rock?' But there is a resemblance.

Gorden-Levitt looks and 'feels' considerably younger than Ledger did, despite the fact that there was only two years difference in their ages. I wonder if the former has the weight and maturity for the Joker role?

Trivia time: The two of them starred together in 10 Things I Hate About You

I said that Already ;)

I thought: 'Surely not? That geeky little kid from Third Rock?' But there is a resemblance.

Yes, age has treat him well!

I am not sure about Joker. I suppose if you had looked at 10 things and Knights Tale you might have asked the same about Ledger.

...I am not sure about Joker. I suppose if you had looked at 10 things and Knights Tale you might have asked the same about Ledger.

True, but in the several years between those films and The Dark Knight, Ledger acquired presence, maturity and looks which belied his age, and a physicality ideal for a larger-than-life character like the Joker.

Gordon-Levitt still looks like he could get away with playing high school types. Which is perfectly fine, but not really Joker material.