Sign in to follow this  

The Old Currency - Do you remember it?

How many member's remember the pound's shilling's and pence that we used to have. There were 240 old pennies to a pound, 12 to one shilling, one half penny, two farthing's to one halfpenny, we could buy an ice cream cornet for one old halfpenny. We had a ten shilling note, a pound note, four halfcrown's to one pound.

When I was in my teen's, I could have a good night out and still have some change left when I got home, all for half a crown. There was a five pound note which was very large and white if we had one one of those we were like millionaire's.

A married man's wage was about thirty shilling's, £1.50 in today's money. The rent for a council house was alway's one fifth of your income, no one had a telephone or a fridge they were luxury item's. No one had wall to wall carpeting, we were so poor we had to put overcoats on the bed to try and keep warm in winter. :lol::o:o:o

I remember halevan, I was about ten when we went decimal, but I remember getting a 'ten bob note' (50p today) on my birthdays. You forgot to mention the 'threpenny bit' and the 'sixpence'. Do you remember the now obsolete decimal 1/2 pence, what a piddly little waste of a coin that was !

Yes that's right Michael, and now we have the decimal and the price rise that went with it.

We are now going to change again, I suppose with another price rise when we go into the Euro. What a mess, will they never be satisfied??? :?:?:?

Originally posted by Michael_W

I remember halevan, I was about ten when we went decimal, but I remember getting a 'ten bob note' (50p today) on my birthdays. You forgot to mention the 'threpenny bit' and the 'sixpence'. Do you remember the now obsolete decimal 1/2 pence, what a piddly little waste of a coin that was !

Yes, as far as old coins/currency go the oldest one I can remember is actually the 1/2 pence, followed by the pound note.

Originally posted by Lickszz

Yes, as far as old coins/currency go the oldest one I can remember is actually the 1/2 pence, followed by the pound note.

Yep, I remember those tiny 1/2 pence pieces.

Don't forget that some of the old five and ten pence pieces we used to have were actually shillings! (They just made them the same size.)

I remember the pound coin being released - it was so exciting for me (as a child who collected coins and notes)! :lol:

Does anyone remember £2 coins from the first time around? They released them, but they never really caught on.

Then a few years ago they tried again.

...and what about the silver 2 1/2p?

its about the same size of the new 5p

and the 50 pence got smaller but same shape.

Working in a bank, it's odd to see that people still have old notes and coins kicking about which they bring in from time to time to exchange.

We see quite a lot of the old £1 notes, and recently I've seen a few of the old brown £50s. I wonder where people have kept them for all thses years?

Originally posted by Andy

Working in a bank, it's odd to see that people still have old notes and coins kicking about which they bring in from time to time to exchange.

We see quite a lot of the old £1 notes, and recently I've seen a few of the old brown £50s. I wonder where people have kept them for all thses years?

Andy, I've recently stumbled across a jar of sixpences. Is there any point in bringing them into your bank?

Originally posted by Andy

Does anyone remember £2 coins from the first time around? They released them, but they never really caught on.

Then a few years ago they tried again.

I remember these as I have most of them. These were only commemorative coins, released on special occassions like the Commonwealth Games, etc... just like the £5 pound coins that you can currently get - if anyone's ever seen them!

Originally posted by maxt

Andy, I've recently stumbled across a jar of sixpences. Is there any point in bringing them into your bank?

No, we can't change them, I'm afraid.

Save them for nostalgia value!