Heeley Baths - your memories

Can anyone remember how deep the deep end was & how high the top board was? I'm fairly sure that the deep end was 6' 6" deep & the diving board about 8'. I ask this because another forum member is adamant that diving from such a high board into such shallow water would inevitably result in serious ijury or worse.

It was about 6'9, raja. I dived in into the middle, aged 10 back in 1974, at the 4foot 6 mark, and knocked myself out.

39 years later, I still have the lump on my forehead.

Heeley Baths brings back many many memories, I used to live on Aizlewood Road and we used to play on our bikes in the Abbeydale Picture Palace car park which over looked the back of Heeley Baths and the dairy on Broadfield Road.

I learnt to swim there too on the numerous swimming lesson trips from Abbeydale Nursery First and Infants school.

I remember walking hand in hand from school a short hop along Broadfield Road to the baths.

The cubicles inside where you had to be quick to get changed otherwise those that were quicker than you would whip open the curtain whilst you were stood there naked.

I only attended one swimming gala there and remember how step the stands were over the cubicles looking down onto the pool.

Are the seating areas (stands) still there and still open ?

I have just joined this forum. this is my first post. I'm Pete now living in Dorset. I went to Abbey Lane School and we got the bus down there every week, I'm talking 1963ish. The school paid the conductor 2d (2 old pence!) for each pupil. One day I got the roll of 50 tickets!

Oh yes Mr Wall. I remember him.... at least he taught me to swim. We got badges...25 yds (one length of pool) then 100 yds, 440, 880 etc I had that many badges you couldn't see my trunks! Thanks to my mum for sewing them on (she's still around 89yrs old!) We had to change in a room. Ah the slipper bath - hot water!! we didn't appreciate it was for washing feet before swimming.... nice! We'd sit there as long as we could before being told to get out!

I also used to go to the baths on a Saturday morning with my dear dad. Bless him - we got up at silly o'clock and went down for 7am opening. Precious moments - you realise that after they have departed this life for the big pool in the sky. I remember the introduction of a vending machine. I had a hot chocolate. Even now if I have a chocolate from a machine my mind goes back to the mid-60's and that chlorine infused chocolate flavour beverage.

Sometimes we would go to a temperance bar - above the baths next to the Abbeydale Cinema. Name?? I would have a hand pulled sarsaparilla. (correct spelling!) Thats where I fell in love with hand pulled drinks - especially Wards fine Malt Ales.....

Happy birthday Heeley Baths.

I was only going to write a couple of lines.... sorry!

Ahhh the good old days, I went to Abbeydale Middle school, just a short walk down Broadfield Road to the baths, late 70's every Friday the whole class happily walked along in pairs to see the dreaded Mr Scott our swimming instructor, he was so bloody strict, always shouting and angry, but he taught us really well and got everyones respect :)

Got my first 25 yard certificate there, thanks to Mr Scott!

I had a school friend who also dived in and hit her head on the bottom of the pool, she was rushed to hospital as she was unconscious, we all panicked but luckily she just had slight concussion.

I went swimming during the school holidays that year with a few friends and whilst we were in the pool, a man in the cubicles opened the yellow curtain and 'exposed' himself to us (to put it politely), sorry to say I've not been back there since!

Edited by CrazyLady!
missed a bit

From what I remember back in the 80s, it was either boiling hot or freezing cold. Never a comfortable middle ground

Ahhh the good old days, I went to Abbeydale Middle school, just a short walk down Broadfield Road to the baths, late 70's every Friday the whole class happily walked along in pairs to see the dreaded Mr Scott our swimming instructor, he was so bloody strict, always shouting and angry, but he taught us really well and got everyones respect :)

Got my first 25 yard certificate there, thanks to Mr Scott!

I had a school friend who also dived in and hit her head on the bottom of the pool, she was rushed to hospital as she was unconscious, we all panicked but luckily she just had slight concussion.

I went swimming during the school holidays that year with a few friends and whilst we were in the pool, a man in the cubicles opened the yellow curtain and 'exposed' himself to us (to put it politely), sorry to say I've not been back there since!

Blimey I remember that incident and am trying to rack my brain as to who she was.... we had to all get out of the pool too if I remember rightly.

Blimey I remember that incident and am trying to rack my brain as to who she was.... we had to all get out of the pool too if I remember rightly.

Hi Daryl, I'm not sure if you'll remember her, she was a good friend of mine...Nasim Raja, we were both in Mr.Potts class back in '79/'80 and you were in Mrs Blands class ;)

I remember us all going to Alton Towers in our last year at Abbeydale, I was scared to death of getting on that corkscrew but once I'd been on they couldn't get me off it lol, seems weird but there were no massive queues back then

It all seems a lifetime away now, time flies way too fast :|

Edited by CrazyLady!

I do remember Nasim Raja, I think, she was tall for her age if it was her.

The corkscrew was pretty new back then and we got a certificate to say that we had ridden on it.

It is a life time away but they were good days.

I do remember Nasim Raja, I think, she was tall for her age if it was her.

The corkscrew was pretty new back then and we got a certificate to say that we had ridden on it.

It is a life time away but they were good days.

Hi again, I think you're thinking of Zareena, she was really tall and lived just up the road from school, Nasim was always fighting with the boys from what I remember, never a dull moment with her lol although I remember she got the Mr.Potts 'eye popping stare' a few times :o

Do you remember his stare when he got angry? It used to terrify us all, the whole class would sit in silence all day after that lol

Edited by CrazyLady!

I used to go to heeley baths every day some times twice if I went with school.

Went for swimming lessons with Lowfields school about 1967-69 aged 8-10 used to have a free pass from school, then stay for another session for free adding the pink stuff on the grab rail.

As I lived just down Broadfield Rd. had fantastic childhood memories.

Mr Potts and his eye popping stare, he was one not to mess with and another teacher that used to strike fear was the raised voice of Mr Licorice !