Heeley Baths - your memories

Then up the gennel onto Abbeydale road near to where the Sasperella bar was.

The gennel was called Primrose Hill. :)

Can you believe Heeley Baths has just celebrated it's 100th birthday!

Personally, I have great memories of the place and visited all the time in the eighties. I went back last week and guess what - they still have the cubicles around the sides! It was a real trip down memory lane!

I am writing an article about the celebrations and would love to hear your stories and memories about Heeley Baths - please feel free to reply or PM me.

Thanks everyone

Ali

I trained at Heely Baths with a girl call Gill Slattery, she went to the Tokyo olimpics! We were attending Newfield Secondary Modern School which had just opened 1958/1959. Our swimming team consisted of Pat Golland, Mary Beecroft, Gill Slattery and a girl called Susan. Does anyone know/remember us? Also my uncle George Dyson took Polio children there, if they were put into the water they could move about - they loved it. 1957??

I remember going to Heeley baths from herdings junior school. Hated Mr Wall. Remember the changing rooms round the side of the baths, polystrene floats. slipper bath before getting in the baths, swimming caps, bacon flavours snack on us returning to school.

All those memories of the 60s. at Heeley. Saturday morning Slipper baths, diving board. Water polo court. Was it ever used? Remember finding a cockroach in the big changing room. Think it was the first and only one I have seen. On the way home great sweet shop by the Bradway bus stop. Blackcurrant lollies. Blackjack 4 a 1d. The sarsaparilla shop round the corner as well. When reached late teens could buy things for the weekend.

I did my 25 & 100 yds there at Heeley,but at Glossop road there was an old gentleman called Leo ?? and taught all the kids to dive,can anyone else remember him.

I went to Heeley Baths with Totley County School in the mid-50s. The water was quite warm and as we were getting dried, a lady came with a hot orange drink which cost 6d or something like that - tasted odd but was comforting. She handed it over the cubicle door. Does anyone remember that? I also had lessons with Mr Wall who made me spend ages doing lengths wearing flippers (I would kick them off in the deep end and he would have to send in a big boy to retrieve them). He got me diving off the top splash but I still hate swimming to this day.

I remember Mr. Wall I used to go to Heeley baths and swimm in the galas they held there in the late 60's. I loved every minute of it but Mr. Wall was a scary character

I learnt to swim in Heeley Baths & remember going there from Abbey Lane school in the forties on a tram & going down a passageway that went through Tyzacks works & past a window where a man was hand cutting files. All Tyzacks works has now gone.

I had a swimming pass as a christmas present from an uncle and used to go every night after school before we moved house - 1960. Used to go with Abbeydale Girls Grammar school there too once a week. Two school friends were caught truanting - sitting on the railings outside the doors by a passing school inspector.

I used to work on broadfield road in the mid 90s and during the summer months we would often go after work to to cool down. WHAT YOU CALLED A PROPER BATHS.

I learnt to swim there in 1951/2, with my school, Nether Edge Grammar. I also took my life saving qualifications, which enabled me to become a lifeguard in Cyprus 10 years later.

Mike

Did Mr. Wall teach you by any chance ?

There were wooden stairs/steps in the shallow end that were green and slimy underneath the treads.

You couldn't go in the water without a swimming cap on.