Heeley Baths - your memories

Can you believe Heeley Baths has just celebrated it's 100th birthday!

Personally, I have great memories of the place and visited all the time in the eighties. I went back last week and guess what - they still have the cubicles around the sides! It was a real trip down memory lane!

I am writing an article about the celebrations and would love to hear your stories and memories about Heeley Baths - please feel free to reply or PM me.

Thanks everyone

Ali

Edited by alstromeria

My late ex-father-in-law used to talk about clean days and dirty days at Heeley Baths. Before they had continuous filtering, the entrance charge was higher on days immediately after the water was replaced, and lower as the water got dirty. I seem to recall him saying it was a penny on dirty days and tuppence on clean days.

Learning to swim there at 5 year old, being took there by Meersbrook Bank school and doing all your swimming badges, from 25 yards upto 1752 yards (mile i think) at 11 years old, and all the school swimming galas, I remember an instructor called Mr Wall, scared me to death, plus getting up at 6am on a sat coz you was allowed to swim from 7am till 10am in them days and coming out of the water all wrinkly. Ha, good times.

i was taught to swim there think the guy was called Jim? And there was Jean who worked on the desk I think?

My dad used to take me and my brother all the time in the 80's on a sunday whilst mum cooked sunday dinner and every week without fail, we'd walk out and have a hot chocolate and a twirl (dipped in of course!)

my dad took his grandchildren there the other week and also mentioned about the cubicles!! funny...

I need to go back again with my babies.:)

i work there for a couple of years back in 1996. :D

I used to go there back in 1968/9,i remenber the cold shower cubicle,where you would pull the chain,and stand under the freezing cold water for as long as you could stand it,then run and jump into the shallow end then the water felt warmer.

I also remember the red hot baths in the top left hand corner of the pool,as a kid i couldnt stay in it for too long.

I think this was called the slipper baths??

HAPPY DAYS...............................................................................................

Yes poppy, you laid in slipper baths as long as possible then jumped in deep end and the cold nearly killed you. Ha.

omg mr merton brings back painfull memories.i can remember doing my mile.if i tried to touch the side he pushed you away with a pole.god i used to have nightmares about him.

I used to love Heeley Baths. I remember all those swimming galas where you sat looking over the pool!

Do they still have that old hot chocolate machine?

The big wrought iorn turnstyles as you payed to go in.

The big changing room at the rear where the school kids changed.

The mixed sex cubicles around the pool with the pvc curtain you pulled across the top of the door.

Why did people rinse out their swimwear in the main pool after they were dressed?????