Osgathorpe Road (Firvale)

Hi has anyone ever lived on osgathorpe road in firvale or do u know anyone who has lived there? I want to learn a bit more about my road so u know :hihi:

How far back do you want to go? Osgathorpe is a very old name, probably Viking in origin. There's a reference to Osgathorp as part of the lands of Joan, widow of Thomas de Furnival who was Lord of the Manor of Sheffield and lived in Sheffield castle. Joan died in 1395 and Osgathorp was mentioned in her will, along with Skynathorp and Orpyttes (now Pitsmoor).

In the 70s and 80s I remember the Fenoughtys and Whiteheads living at the bottom end of Osgathorpe rd

Bill and Pauline Leary lived on there.

Daughters called Cheryl and Karina, Karina died aged 19.

They also have a son Wayne.

They are my wifes relatives.

Bill and Pauline Leary lived on there.

Daughters called Cheryl and Karina, Karina died aged 19.

They also have a son Wayne.

They are my wifes relatives.

The Learys lived on ElleSmere NUMBER 308 i think not Osgathorpe. My brother was a big mate of waynes. I beleive Bill and Pauline moved up Elm Lane somewhere didnt they and Cheryl and her hubby Alan moved to Shirecliffe. Wayne was A PHYSICAL TRAINING INSTRUCTOR IN THE ARMY

In the 1960's there was an old Irish chap who worked on the bins and also went door to door selling 'Bettawear' products from a heavy suitcase. He was around halfway up from Barnsley Road. There was also a friend of a friend called Tom Gratton and his wife Bernie. Tom played cricket for the Petre St. club on Smith's Field ( off Grimesthorpe Rd.)

i can remember in the early 70s playing in the grounds of osgathorpe hall, a massive, or so it seemed at the time, stately home. I think they knocked it down and built houses on the land.

The Gumpert family, of WILSON-GUMPERTS,the famous toy shop in Fitzallan square, lived on Osgathorpe.My mother used to do cleaning there,for Mrs.Gumpert,and took my brother and me there,sometimes.Mrs. gumpert gave us little tykes,some Dinky cars, one christmas,and i still have them in my collection. She was a lovely lady.eightlegger.

My aunty and uncle lived in a flat near the bottom. I only have a vague memory but think it could have been that large house at the bottom which is some kind of meeting house. There names were mary and david schofield

A guy called Mohammed Ali committed a drive by murder there a few years ago .

On 10/09/2009 at 18:46, daftlad said:

In the 70s and 80s I remember the Fenoughtys and Whiteheads living at the bottom end of Osgathorpe rd

Hello. I'm one of the Whiteheads that lived at number 3, Osgathorpe Road.
At number 1 was Mrs. Goodwin and at number 5 was Mr and Mrs Anderson and later Mr and Mrs Ball.
The Finnerty's were good friends. We played together loads.