What do you miss most?

I must echo the earlier post about the smell of the brewery (Tenants I think?) When I was little and went to town with my mam I found the smell of the malt very pleasant as it reminded me of hot milk on Weetabix!

Every time I go past a brewery on a cold dull day and detect that smell I go straight back sixty years.

I miss burning my fingers trying to eat proper fried in dripping 'chips fish'n'a cake wi' scraps' out of newspaper while wandering home when I was old enough to be out when it was still dark.

Remember the fish that was standard fare then? Beautiful thick, sticky, flaky chunks of Icelandic cod, mmm.. I just took it for granted and thought all cod was like that.

PROPER FISHCAKES!!, proper friendly and full pubs and the general friendliness of Sheffield folk. My one consolation is holidaying in a special place in Cornwall that seems to be home from home for yorkshire folk, hence I speak to more people in a day down there than I do in a month back home in Worcs.

PROPER FISHCAKES!!, proper friendly and full pubs and the general friendliness of Sheffield folk. My one consolation is holidaying in a special place in Cornwall that seems to be home from home for yorkshire folk, hence I speak to more people in a day down there than I do in a month back home in Worcs.
oh yes proper fishcakes i miss a few things but proper fishcakes cannot be beaten j

Quite right Janet. I was born on Low Road, off Stannington Road at Woodland View. Both sets of grandparents lived in the same row of twelve houses as us, and we grew up surrounded by relatives who gave us sweets on Saturday mornings, rallied round when times were difficult, remembered our birthdays etc. - and most of all they CARED. I am writing this in Cape Town, South Africa where Mrs hillsbro and I are staying with friends, and many of the expats here also comment on the close family life of England long ago. It may survive more in Sheffield, and the North as a whole, than elsewhere in the UK but much of what we regarded as important has gone forever.

Middlewood Hospital was very much a community with lots of dedicated people and an excellent environment for patients and staff. I knew a number of nurses there and a few long-term patients such as Dougie March who used to repair radios and TVs for people there. He died long ago, but old Walter can still be seen in Hillsborough, still toddling around at 84 with his shopping bag full of sweets etc. Bless him.

What number Hillsbro? We lived at number 60 until 1976. Would I have known you?

I miss Wards bitter, never really took to any other beer since Wards went.

I miss the twin steeples near meadowhall when i approach sheff on the train from glasgow.

There was also a mynah bird inside that used to repeat almost everything you said to it, and it could swear too. Used to go on Sunday's with my dad then down to Endcliffe Park. If it was a Bank Holiday Sunday we would often go to Pond Street and get a coach to Belle Vue Zoo in Manchester, I loved that place.

Does anyone remember the sleigh ride to see Santa at Castle House? I used to take my two little ones there every year it was magical.

And Rich, there is a Hamleys in Meadowhall now.

Ha Ha Ha that must be the mynah bird effect ....

I used to take my children to see the mynah birds when we were in Sheffield and my children often talk about the sleigh ride to see Santa. They really thought it was real. Haven't ever seen anything like that since.

Stevenson's Rocket outside Midland station...........you could put a coin in and watch it move.

The old Royal Hospital.

Sweet ( spice ) fish given to you in your hand by the man at the sweet stall in the rag market.

Proper fishcakes.

The wooden railway bridge at near Westbury Street, standing on it when a steam train went under it.

AND the slag heaps over the railway bridge which my Mum had banned me from BUT were too irresistable!

I miss the chestnut man who sold chestnuts, roasted over a coke fire for 4d a bag in Flat Street, near the big map of the city with lights that came on when you pressed the buttons.

I miss riding my bike down The Moor when it was still a proper street and wasn't cut off from London Road by a huge building.

I miss cosy city-centre pubs like the Yorkshireman before they either went trendy or closed altogether.

I miss Corkers fruit shop in Chapel Walk (at this time of year it was the only place you could get Kentish cobnuts, and everything they had was good) and browsing the records in Cann's a bit further down.

I miss Subway Cyril, Pond Street Norah and the Duke of Darnall.

I miss the aviary in the Botanical Gardens, and the blue and yellow macaw on a perch outside.

I miss backloading buses that you could jump on and off, and never having to wait long for a bus as there were always plenty of them.

I miss walking down Fargate without being accosted by pollsters (real or fake), charity collectors etc.

But, although a fit and healthy 61, most of all I miss being young!.:rolleyes:

Hillsbro your message brought back so many memories, we called Cyril (Pond St Cyril), and Nora was always (Nutty Nora) to us. Used to love the back-loading buses, and I miss the maze that used to be at the bottom of moor and Santa's grotto was in middle.

There is so much gone from Sheffield, I miss the hole in road, I also miss BDTBL being 3 sided & being able to walk all way round & old cricket ground & pavilion there.

Redgates, best toy shop EVER, I miss Tim Drabble & Dave Heslam, 2 great mates taken far too young, I miss being healthy & being able to do even the simple things, but at least I'm still here :):)

Edited by Bypassblade

Hillsbro your message brought back so many memories, we called Cyril (Pond St Cyril), and Nora was always (Nutty Nora) to us. Used to love the back-loading buses, and I miss the maze that used to be at the bottom of moor and Santa's grotto was in middle.

There is so much gone from Sheffield, I miss the hole in road, I also miss BDTBL being 3 sided & being able to walk all way round & old cricket ground & pavilion there.

Redgates, best toy shop EVER, I miss Tim Drabble & Dave Heslam, 2 great mates taken far too young, I miss being healthy & being able to do even the simple things, but at least I'm still here :):)

Yep regates and sheaf valley baths. Did your mate Dave Heslam live on Hackenthope?

I miss the chestnut man who sold chestnuts, roasted over a coke fire for 4d a bag in Flat Street, near the big map of the city with lights that came on when you pressed the buttons.

I miss riding my bike down The Moor when it was still a proper street and wasn't cut off from London Road by a huge building.

I miss cosy city-centre pubs like the Yorkshireman before they either went trendy or closed altogether.

I miss Corkers fruit shop in Chapel Walk (at this time of year it was the only place you could get Kentish cobnuts, and everything they had was good) and browsing the records in Cann's a bit further down.

I miss Subway Cyril, Pond Street Norah and the Duke of Darnall.

I miss the aviary in the Botanical Gardens, and the blue and yellow macaw on a perch outside.

I miss backloading buses that you could jump on and off, and never having to wait long for a bus as there were always plenty of them.

I miss walking down Fargate without being accosted by pollsters (real or fake), charity collectors etc.

But, although a fit and healthy 61, most of all I miss being young!.:rolleyes:

I agree with all of these things and many that other people have mentioned.

I do wonder if young people of today will have such fond memories of any simple pleasurable times as we '60 somethings' do? Everything seems so fast and complicated these days!

Ann W