Sheffield Forgemasters

They're still there - as big as sparows now :hihi:

Must be something in the guard's snapbox?? :heyhey:

If you look at the office buildings on the left hand side of Brightside Lane you can see the Vickers 'V' in the stonework on the buildings.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I wondered if anyone knew what "V S & M" stands for on the old frontage of the Forgemasters building on Brightside Lane?

There are some metal bosses above the old windows (Gate 1, fronting what is now a car park on the left hand side as you go towards Meadowhall), most of which have a plain "V" logo on them, some have "V S & M" on them.

The only thing I can think of is Vickers Steels and Metals. Any better ideas anyone? :confused:

I served my apprenticeship there in the late 50s till 1968. As far as I am aware VS and M Stood for Vickers Son and Maxim

Thanks Clown! Next question though - whats Maxim?!

Feargal

Put Maxim into the Wikipedia search and you will be able to read all about Maxim..

Hope This helps PopT

type in vickers son and Maxim. This will give you a indication oof how it came about

Thanks Pop T and Clown! I've looked it up on wikipedia, and there's lots of interesting stuff on there, so much diverse history in one company. I'm glad I asked now :)

Dont Know if any one is interested but E.S.C. in the late 50s Had 2 power stations on the river don site generating most of its electric consumption and steam for other proccesses ie the river don steam engine driving the plate mill on the south side. There were a number of gas producing plants feeding the treatment and heating furniss's dotted all over the site. River water was taken from the river don filtered and pumped up to reservoir on Wincobank Hill in order to give a constant head of water round the whole site,the water was used for treatment ie quenching. These pumps were situated at each of the power stations and at the end of brightside lane. The main Offices had an early form of air conditioning Incorporated durring its constructon a central suction machine for the cleaners to hoover up the offices was installed. The air ducts in the basement were of glazed brick to make washing down easy.

Smiths 565

Have you contacted Dean1 as he has already researched the World War 1 Sheffield fallen?

PopT,

I worked at ESC River Don works 62-70.Served my time there.Worked in the West machine shop then the South m/s.I also live in NewZealand.We could be living close.If you are agreeable we could exchange e-mail addresses.Always happy to talk about the old firm and engineering.

Pete.

Hi KiwiPete

I've sent you a private message.

Cheers PopT

Dont Know if any one is interested but E.S.C. in the late 50s Had 2 power stations on the river don site generating most of its electric consumption and steam for other proccesses ie the river don steam engine driving the plate mill on the south side. There were a number of gas producing plants feeding the treatment and heating furniss's dotted all over the site. River water was taken from the river don filtered and pumped up to reservoir on Wincobank Hill in order to give a constant head of water round the whole site,the water was used for treatment ie quenching. These pumps were situated at each of the power stations and at the end of brightside lane. The main Offices had an early form of air conditioning Incorporated durring its constructon a central suction machine for the cleaners to hoover up the offices was installed. The air ducts in the basement were of glazed brick to make washing down easy.

Does anyone remember the name Dickinson? My dad was Foreman Electrician at Brightside Lane for 49 years. He was made redundant in 1971.