Derren Brown predicts the lottery numbers..

Just thinking about this.. Derren said he was going to predict the numbers.. but we didn't actually see his 'prediction' until after the draw when he turned his balls around.. so we have no way of knowing if he made a prediction in advance at all. All we actually saw was him showing us the numbers that had just been drawn, what we don't know, is how he got the drawn numbers onto the balls to show us so quickly.

He might explain how he really did it on Friday. But beware! His 'explanations' are often as much a part of his misdirection as the stuff he does during the illusion.

Camera trickery, with superimposed images is the easiest solution. He deliberately showed things to try disprove this option which make it more likely. It isn't his usual style though. I think the explanation on Friday won't mention camera trickery but I also think his explanation may not be the truth.

Just thinking about this.. Derren said he was going to predict the numbers.. but we didn't actually see his 'prediction' until after the draw when he turned his balls around.. so we have no way of knowing if he made a prediction in advance at all. All we actually saw was him showing us the numbers that had just been drawn, what we don't know, is how he got the drawn numbers onto the balls to show us so quickly.

Ah yes very true, the numbers were put there after the lottery was drawn.

He is brilliant Ry ry Rydian, come on admit it, he is amazing. Not smarmy at all, come on mate, I have met you and you know true smarm ;)

Ha ha, he is Mr Know it all, an english verson of David Blaine.

Ha ha, he is Mr Know it all, an english verson of David Blaine.

If you ever get the chance to meet the guy and spend more than 30 seconds with him, you'll soon see he's not like Blaine at all. He's a really good bloke.

If he can do this why didnt he buy a ticket then? Camera trickery is the only answer! I bet you dont get the true explanation on friday

I have worked it out now! You can watch in again on the Sun website for anyone interested.

When he first walked in the room it shows a wide angle shot showing a hand held camera filming him close up. This is a recording. When if flicks for the final time to the close up shot it is live. It is no longer a hand held camera though. It is now a camera on a rig designed to make it look hand held. With some pre-defined shaking movements. This then means you can take the exact shot twice. The first time was before the live show when nothing happens to the balls.

The left half of this image is then superimposed over the live image last night. This means it will match up exactly as the shaking is mechanically controlled. Somebody can then position the balls while the left side of the screen is covered by the superimposed image. It can the seamlessly switch back to live when the balls have been positioned.

The only problem with this is that you would expect a slight glitch when the left side of the picture switches from superimposed to live. The jerkiness would cover this to some extent though.

That is my suggestion anyway! :)

There is an easier way than mechanically shaking the camera and matching the two images up. The camera could be still and the jerkiness was added after to the finished combined footage. That makes it even simpler.

This won't be the explanation he gives on Friday though, that will be far more complex. Clever guy.

If he can do this why didnt he buy a ticket then? Camera trickery is the only answer! I bet you dont get the true explanation on friday

And again, he can't do this. That's the point and that's why he didn't buy a ticket.

He's showing you how he can make it appear that he can.

It would be more realistic if he had bought, or had someone in the production team buy a ticket and show it after the draw. Then it could be checked for authenticity and destroyed afterwards so as not to affect the winnings.

Its just a clever trick

It would affect the winnings though, because if another person had the 6 numbers they would only get half of the jackpot- the rest would remain unclaimed until it diverted into the good causes fund. and that not fair on the person who won!

You know what- i think he did it- i think he worked out how to predict it and he is just a very very intelligent man- i honestly don't think he would stoop so low to project numbers onto the balls (which you couldn't do because he moved the balls individually mid-show), or whisper stuff into his hand (whats the point- its love on the bbc).

I think he did it and the conspiracy theorists will just have to keep looking :D :D

just watched it again and as the numbers are coming out he has his hand over his mouth the whole time until the bonus ball (wich dosnt matter as he wasnt "predicting" this) so it just makes you wonder if that was anything to do with it