Derren Brown predicts the lottery numbers..

Well it's pretty safe to say it's not witchcraft.... still...top trick. I'll be watching how he did it with interest.

the balls in the rack were there start to finish untouched ,all opinions and theories valid and welcome

Did he show you all the numbers at the beginning of the program, or just that he'd selected some earlier, which were kept, as you say, in the rack at the beginning of the program?

Did he show you all the numbers at the beginning of the program, or just that he'd selected some earlier, which were kept, as you say, in the rack at the beginning of the program?

they were in the rack facing the other way ,after the draw he wrote the numbers down in numerical order ,he then revealed the numbers in the rack by turning it round in one go without touching any of the balls 6/6 this was done with in 30 seconds of the draw finishing . still can,t think of any logical cheat he has preformed:huh:

absolutley no camera trickery

How can you be so sure...? :hihi:

Possible spoiler: highlight between here... There is some evidence (a ball moves of it's own accord), that the left hand side of the screen was "frozen", while the right hand remained live. The camera used for the draw section doesn't look very hand held either - it never moves (pans and zooms yes, but no actual movement) apart from some random shaking - which can be added in outside the camera, and live. While the balls are covered, by a recording of the balls, someone else can step in and put the correct numbers in place. ... and here to read.

the balls in the rack were there start to finish untouched ,all opinions and theories valid and welcome

Well it's a good illusion, but that's just it it was an illusion.

As far as Derren Brown looking genuinely shocked.....that's all part of the act.

Just watch his shows in front of an audience that are now being show on Ch4 and E4.....he puts on an act quite a lot of the time, pretending to be suprised or really struggling to get the answer right.

Obviously Derren Brown didn't pick out the lottery numbers, so the answer probably lies in the balls that stood on the stand seemingly untouched and unchanged.

I would favour some misdirection at some point.....perhaps when everyone was concentrating on the tv screen during the lottery drawing of numbers or when Derren was writing the numbers down in numerical order,when really more concentration should have been paid to the stand with the balls on.

Personally I think his story about Camelot not allowing CH4 to show the numbers before the lottery was bogus and all crucial for the trick to work, after all nobody could gain from it as nobody could buy a ticket at that late stage, and that also means that Camelot must have thought that Derren Brown was truely pyschic to place that restriction on Ch4.

In any case I'm sure Channel 4 didn't have to seek Camelots permission before doing this stunt.

Now had Derren Brown revealed the numbers before the draw took place then that would be something else.

Edited by Kingmaker2

Well it's a good illusion, but that's just it it was an illusion to show that he picked the numbers before hand.

As far as Derren Brown looking genuinely shocked.....that's all part of the act.

Just watch his shows in front of an audience that are now being show on Ch4 and E4.....he puts on an act quite a lot of the time, pretending to be suprised or really struggling to get the answer right.

Obviously Derren Brown didn't pick out the lottery numbers so the answer probably lies in the balls that stood on the stand seemingly untouched and unchanged.

I would favour some misdirection at some point.....perhaps when everyone was concentrating on the tv screen during the lottery, when really more concentration should have been paid to the stand with the balls on.

I think he's an excellent illusionist, and an extremely good observer. He talks a lot about how he does it

It's quite lengthy, so I don't expect many to watch it, but I'll post it anyway for anyone interested, it explains a lot.

:)

Edited by *_ash_*

For anyone still wondering if there was some sort of delay... this video on youtube shows More 4 and BBC 1 next to each other, both recorded live.

But that's what appeared to happen, but in reality I'll wager that the illussion of the rack being untouched and the balls not changing is key to the whole trick.

You were made to think or misdirected into thinking the rack was in full view and untouched at all times but in reality it probably wasn't.

If Camelot really did place restrictions on Ch4 by not allowing them to reveal the numbers before the draw, which I rather doubt(See my post above) then Derren Brown should have gone one stage further and got someone to take a 35 mm film camera and take one single photo of the balls in the rack with numbers showing, then got that film developed live on stage after the draw had taken place to prove that those numbers had been chosen BEFORE the draw had taken place.

It's quite obvious from the way it was handled and using experience of his previous work, that the numbers were not on the balls at the start of the sequence. The "trick" is how he got the numbers on the balls... There was a lot of misdirection towards the TV, and himself throughout the whole drawing progress ("Ah theres <name>, the drawmaster", "oh, its Alan Dedicote, the voice of the balls", "ah, a close up to see nothings been tampered with", etc), which makes it very difficult for the brain to continue looking at a static, untouched, boring stand with 6 white balls on top.

I posted a solution above... but the ability for the average person at home to pull that off is virtually zero, so I await Friday with interest.

For anyone still wondering if there was some sort of delay... this video on youtube shows More 4 and BBC 1 next to each other, both recorded live.

I think the key doesn't so much lie in any time delay of picture, but more the few seconds that Derren Brown spent writing the numbers down in order, very quick I grant you, but probably enough time for someone to somehow pop the proper balls in sequence without the viewer noticing.

And don't forget the focus only switched back to the balls on the stand AFTER Derren wrote down the numbers in sequence, so Derren was in full control as far as timing was concerned the whole time.

If you think about it, there was no need to write down the numbers in sequence at all, it just bought Derren more time, and if Derren needed a bit more time for the ball switch he could easily employ his acting skills again by pretending to get the ball number sequence wrong.

Edited by Kingmaker2

Another youtube clip...

Make of it what you will :)

If it is some camera trickery, I will be slightly disapointed. Derren Brown is a very clever man, to the point of freakishness, and if this relies on technical wizardry, I find it a bit of a weak solution. But we shall all find out on Friday!

Another youtube clip...

Make of it what you will :)

If it is some camera trickery, I will be slightly disapointed. Derren Brown is a very clever man, to the point of freakishness, and if this relies on technical wizardry, I find it a bit of a weak solution. But we shall all find out on Friday!

i agree with the above but i think there might be a more subtle way he did this