Tips For Growing A Scotch Bonnet

Hi all

A couple of months ago I bought a packet of Scotch Bonnet chilli peppers from Asda to cook with. However, I'd had them a while and they'd started to wither, so I decided, for some reason, to cut one open and plant a few of the seeds. Not for one second did I ever think anything would happen, I was just bored one day.

Now, I have a beautiful plant with huge, healthy looking leaves. It's still quite small, but looking good.

What I'm wanting to know is what are the chances of it producing an edible chilli, and how do I care for it properly because all I've done is put it in compost in a small pot on my kitchen window, and just water it everyday.

Any tips and advice would be great.

Cheers

Plant it earlier in the year (Feb time) next year :wink:

Put it in a bigger pot, keep it on a nice sunny window sill and don't overwater it and you might get some off it this year. Chilies are nice and easy the grow :thumbsup:

Plant it earlier in the year (Feb time) next year :wink:

Put it in a bigger pot, keep it on a nice sunny window sill and don't overwater it and you might get some off it this year. Chilies are nice and easy the grow :thumbsup:

Thanks for that.

Like I said, I was just bored and thought why not. I'm only just getting in to this plant malarky and, usually, I will find out when to plant things, or look on the packet.

But this was a seed from a chilli that I'd bought to cook with.

It will survive well into the winter, through to next summer if you're lucky, and you might get some off it during the winter months too - although you might need to do a bit of hand pollination with a small paint brush.

Lots of seeds will grow into plants if kept and planted - I planted some pepper seeds from some I bought in Tesco and I've had a few off them this year.

It will survive well into the winter, through to next summer if you're lucky, and you might get some off it during the winter months too - although you might need to do a bit of hand pollination with a small paint brush.

Lots of seeds will grow into plants if kept and planted - I planted some pepper seeds from some I bought in Tesco and I've had a few off them this year.

Explain hand pollination to me. I've got an idea of what it is, but how do you do it?

Get the paintbrush and gently brush the centre of the flower and work your way around all the flowers. Seems to have worked for me in the past.

My plant has started to flower!

It's so exciting!!!! Well, for me, anyway.

You can buy a plant food called Chilli Focus (have a look on Google) which I use to feed my chilli plants. It's specially formulated to give you the biggest, brightest, healthiest and hottest fruits!