School uniform rules gone mad!!

You cant say it improves discipline, Look at Chaucer and Firvale there results are very Low are'nt they? Notre Dame wears uniform yet look at there scores, much higher and in uniform - No different to Chaucer

In my opinion its the enviroment that surrounds us that effects the behaviour of ourselves and those that live around us.

for instance, Look at the schools towards the totley side of sheffield town centre, those schools perform on the whole, better in exams and in behaviour.

compared to the opposite side of town whos scores are clearly Lower ( with the exception of probebly ecclesfield, we , until recently were hit by a vicious new deputy and since then, moral has been pretty low as we cant customise anything anymore, so much for being a school that suppose to be allowed to show creative talent.

The difference is Chaucer, as stated earlier, doesnt have zero tolerance on uniform policy, and this reflects in other areas, if they have zero tolerance on rule breaking FULL STOP, it spills over into all areas of the school discipline, the pupils know rule breaking will not be tolerated!

chaucer only caters towards the bad kids, if your naughty there you get sent to the unit which provides them with hot chocolate and biscuits and trips out go karting, what message does that send out to the ones who behave. dont understand it!!! what happend to been sat next to the heads office with a big pile of work to do. thats a deteriant. not hot chocolate and biscuits!!!!

We have non uniform days occasionally and to my surprise the kids act far more mature.

This is another thing that gets my mad up with uniforms and our school, sometimes they have none uniform days but the kids have to pay £1 for the privilege.

Now I am not sure if this money goes to the school or charity but it kind of undermines the argument about uniform being there so people to feel equal ect when if you cant afford the pound you are the one in uniform looking the lemon or cheap skate.

Edited by hard2miss

This is another thing that gets my mad up with uniforms and our school, sometimes they have none uniform days but the kids have to pay £1 for the privilege.

Now I am not sure if this money goes to the school or charity but it kind of undermines the argument about uniform being there so people to feel equal ect when if you cant afford the pound you are the one looking the lemon or cheap skate.[/quote

totally agree with you. Then you have the prom which up to now has cost me a small fortune. what about the ones who cant afford it. wearing uniform is suppose to stop bullying then they go and have a prom knowing full well not every one can afford dress limos ect. what ever happend to a good old disco

my daughter goes to yewlands, shes in the first year. she has stuck to the uniform policy even in the snow...she wore boots but took her shoes in a bag (her choice). now whats infuriated me is i got a callparents text the other saying from march 1st all kids need to wear proper shoes now weather has eased. after i read it i thought, lol, well yeah thats obvious, no need to send me a text to tell me.

that is until my daughter came home from school friday, she was wearing her uniform and black ankle boots (leather). she took off her boots and said...

" cant wear them again, headteacher says theyre the wrong feel".

the wrong bloody feel!!! wtf... theyre leather, black and suitable for business wear, how can a shoe be the wrong "FEEL" for a uniform.

i asked my daughter to explain this and here it is..

daughter.."can i wear these then miss?"

teacher looks at her shoes and says "no, theyre the wrong feel"

daughter "what do you mean wrong feel?"

teacher " they just dont feel right, theyre not like mine"

my daughter looked at her teachers shoes and she had patent shoes on.

for those who dont know what patent is, they are fake leather, shiny plastic looking shoes.

i have told my daughter to wear them on monday, if she gets sent home, im marching her straight back and will be having words with this so called head teacher.

i have stuck to the fine line with trousers etc, but telling a child not to wear black leather ankle boots is an absolute joke. they are plain, no heel as required in the letter we all got when they informed us of the uniform. if she persists in her stupid beurocricy of they dont feel right, i will willingly take the shoes off my daughters feet and proceed to smack some sense into her dumbass brain and then ask her....do they feel right now!

my daughter goes to yewlands, shes in the first year. she has stuck to the uniform policy even in the snow...she wore boots but took her shoes in a bag (her choice). now whats infuriated me is i got a callparents text the other saying from march 1st all kids need to wear proper shoes now weather has eased. after i read it i thought, lol, well yeah thats obvious, no need to send me a text to tell me.

that is until my daughter came home from school friday, she was wearing her uniform and black ankle boots (leather). she took off her boots and said...

the wrong bloody feel!!! wtf... theyre leather, black and suitable for business wear, how can a shoe be the wrong "FEEL" for a uniform.

for those who dont know what patent is, they are fake leather, shiny plastic looking shoes.

i have told my daughter to wear them on monday, if she gets sent home, im marching her straight back and will be having words with this so called head teacher.

i have stuck to the fine line with trousers etc, but telling a child not to wear black leather ankle boots is an absolute joke. they are plain, no heel as required in the letter we all got when they informed us of the uniform. if she persists in her stupid beurocricy of they dont feel right, i will willingly take the shoes off my daughters feet and proceed to smack some sense into her dumbass brain and then ask her....do they feel right now!

was it the head teacher or your daughters teacher that make these remarks ??

ps patent shoes are in fact leather its the cheap manmade version that i think you are refering to.....not being picky just stating this for discussion sake :):thumbsup:

Edited by annb3811

OK, here's my perception as a teacher.

1. A school has no legal grounds to enforce any uniform.

2. They cannot send any pupil home without first informing the parent.

3. They get round the uniform issue by sending them home for persistent defiance instead.

4. I have a dress code I have to stick to. I'm an adult, just like the moaning parents, so they should understand why we have one for staff and pupils.

5. I could work somewhere else.

AND, from my perspective as a parent

1. School consulted me over uniform changes, and did its legal bit by giving months notice and a transition period.

2. Uniform is cheap, washable, an durable.

3. Kids who do not have correct uniform are innocent bystanders, and it is their parents fault.

4. I'd be embarrassed to send my kids to school not in uniform. I have self respect, respect for my kids, and respect for their school.

5. I could join the Parents Council, stand as a Parent Governor, or contact a Parent Governor and voice my opinion properly.

6. Could send them to a school without uniform.

Wasn't it Yewlands that went to the trouble of buying every kids their first new school t-shirt when it changed? Give the school a break!

Edited by chemistuk

OK, here's my perception as a teacher.

1. A school has no legal grounds to enforce any uniform.

2. They cannot send any pupil home without first informing the parent.

3. They get round the uniform issue by sending them home for persistent defiance instead.

4. I have a dress code I have to stick to. I'm an adult, just like the moaning parents, so they should understand why we have one for staff and pupils.

5. I could work somewhere else.

AND, from my perspective as a parent

1. School consulted me over uniform changes, and did its legal bit by giving months notice and a transition period.

2. Uniform is cheap, washable, an durable.

3. Kids who do not have correct uniform are innocent bystanders, and it is their parents fault.

4. I'd be embarrassed to send my kids to school not in uniform. I have self respect, respect for my kids, and respect for their school.

5. I could join the Parents Council, stand as a Parent Governor, or contact a Parent Governor and voice my opinion properly.

6. Could send them to a school without uniform.

Wasn't it Yewlands that went to the trouble of buying every kids their first new school t-shirt when it changed? Give the school a break!

I know Parkwood Academy provided a new school uniform for every single child when the uniform was changed.

As for chaucer my daughter was sent home for wearing black jeans (1st time she had worn them, i didnt notice that she had gone in them).

:hihi: Jaxter, I was feeling rebelious other day while ironing, said "crease" in trousers, was gonna do tramlines.......ooopss, naughty mom :hihi: