Garden Pond Megathread All Garden Pond Threads Here

I have a pretty big pond, about 25ft x 15ft x 3.5ft and love it. The rigid one's are good if you find a shape you like but I prefer a liner as you can make it look more natural. Put down enough sand and old carpet and they'll last 25yrs or so, even after that then just lay some new liner over that.

A good pump and filter is vital though

Don't underestimate how much soil there will be to move ,one of my old neighbours built his pond 10 foot deep, took a week to move all the soil

Did his wife disappear shortly after???

We built our pond up rather than down for safety issues

We built our pond up rather than down for safety issues

How does the water stay in it then? :huh:

Only have a garden pond if you will not be having any children in your garden ever. If you are going to have children in the garden at some point, then you need to put some sort of heavy duty, lockable metal grid over it, to take a child's weight at least, or a heavy duty wooden trellis laid flat over it, that will take at least a child's weight, and is replaced when it becomes weak.

---------- Post added 14-03-2016 at 22:18 ----------

I have a pretty big pond, about 25ft x 15ft x 3.5ft and love it. The rigid one's are good if you find a shape you like but I prefer a liner as you can make it look more natural. Put down enough sand and old carpet and they'll last 25yrs or so, even after that then just lay some new liner over that.

A good pump and filter is vital though

I have to agree with this.

Check out all the reviews for the solar pumps, as you will be surprised what power you need if you want to keep the water clean and electric pumps can really push up your bills.

Only have a garden pond if you will not be having any children in your garden ever. If you are going to have children in the garden at some point, then you need to put some sort of heavy duty, lockable metal grid over it, to take a child's weight at least, or a heavy duty wooden trellis laid flat over it, that will take at least a child's weight, and is replaced when it becomes weak.

I think that's a bit extreme. I know there's recently been the death of those two twins:

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/tributes-paid-to-twins-2-who-died-after-falling-into-pond-1-4065574

But a bit of care, responsibility and supervision should be all that's needed.

I think that's a bit extreme. I know there's recently been the death of those two twins:

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/tributes-paid-to-twins-2-who-died-after-falling-into-pond-1-4065574

I think Hesther means if you're intending leaving kids unsupervised in the garden.

Otherwise the same rules of covering anything of H2O nature with heavy duty, lockable metal grids would apply to the sea, public swimming pools, children's paddling pools etc, etc.

As a teeny kid, I was just bunged in the garden for the day and expected to survive, armed with nothing but my own inherent cognitive self-preservation neural pathways … I'm still here. No Darwin Award for me. :cry:

The latest figures I found were from 2005, when an average of 5 children a year drowned in garden ponds in the UK. Recent reports say this has increased as the number of households with water features have increased.

The trouble with 'supervising' children in the garden, is that you can never supervise them 100% and it only takes a second for them to disappear in a pond.

How does the water stay in it then? :huh:

:hihi::hihi: It's a magic pond alco. :hihi::hihi:

Hello thanks for the replies im not wanting fish in it I am thinking about something similar to this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bermuda-Pre-Formed-Pond-Bay-litres/dp/B0053GQ9U6/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1457961730&sr=1-1&keywords=pre+formed+ponds

or abit smaller and having a solar fountain in the middle with stones round the sides ?

The 2watts from that solar panel is a very small output even if it was just for a light, but especially for powering a motor in a pump.

Hello right well I don't have kids or intend on any coming round... so thats fine

And the solar panel you have seen isn't one I was looking at Ive not looked them yet really