Garden Pond Megathread All Garden Pond Threads Here

Yeah, rotting vegetation will suck all the oxygen out of the water. We have a real problem with lots of mature trees overhanging the garden, and leaves falling in the pond.

A couple of years ago I treated the pond with this stuff - http://www.aquaplancton.co.uk/ and it worked. I didn't do it this year, and all the frogspawn died. I've seen the odd frog and newt earlier this year, but now it's only invertebrates alive in there. This year I've committed to rigourously fishing the fallen leaves out every day or two.

Aquaplancton is a weird product, and it's hard to know how it works - but I guess it forms an inert substrate favourable to beneficial bacterial life in the main.

It's a bit "magic cure" and I'm not going to claim any miraculous properties, but it worked for me.

Treated it with aquaplancton again this year, and removed about 70% of the marsh irises that were threatening to turn the whole pond into their personal bog. Water's murky, clearer than it was and with many hundreds of tadpoles swimming about in it right now.

Thank goodness for the rain though, levels were looking alarmingly low!

---------- Post added 18-05-2017 at 19:14 ----------

How do you feed your fish if you go away? Any advice please?

How long are you going away for, how big are the fish and how big is the pond?

If you're leaving small fish in a big pond for two weeks, don't worry about feeding them. If you're leaving a giant catfish in a small pond for a year away backpacking, you'll need someone to come in and toss it dead rats once a week.

Treated it with aquaplancton again this year, and removed about 70% of the marsh irises that were threatening to turn the whole pond into their personal bog. Water's murky, clearer than it was and with many hundreds of tadpoles swimming about in it right now.

Thank goodness for the rain though, levels were looking alarmingly low!

---------- Post added 18-05-2017 at 19:14 ----------

How long are you going away for, how big are the fish and how big is the pond?

If you're leaving small fish in a big pond for two weeks, don't worry about feeding them. If you're leaving a giant catfish in a small pond for a year away backpacking, you'll need someone to come in and toss it dead rats once a week.

About a week. The pond is't very big, about 4ft and the fish aren't big either but two had babies last year.we are new to this and only started this fish keeping thing last year. 6 fish and roughly 6 babies maybe more when they do eventually come up from the bottom

I believe it is not advisable to refill a pond once cleaned out with tap water ?

If filled with tap water, is there an additive that can be introduced to overcome the effects on the fish ?

I believe it is not advisable to refill a pond once cleaned out with tap water ?

If filled with tap water, is there an additive that can be introduced to overcome the effects on the fish ?

Absolutely. Never put pure tap water into a pond without adding an appropriate amount of additive first. The fish may still swim about and look happy, but they won't be. Tap water on it's own is toxic to fish. The filter on my pond is rinsed out with the pond water - never from the tap.

I use this one. It's important to get the size of the pond right for dosing and treatment purposes. Water dechlorinator won't damage your fish even if you slightly use more than you should for the size of your pond, but overdosing on pond treatments could cause alot of problems.

Hi Voltaire and thanks, much appreciated !

Hi Voltaire and thanks, much appreciated !

Hey no problem. Hope it helped. :)

Hi is there any pond expert out there that can advise me on how to get rid of the green in my pond please

Hi is there any pond expert out there that can advise me on how to get rid of the green in my pond please

Hi Damo,

Ring Waterside Water Gardens on 01909 731367, explain your setup and I'm sure they'll get you sorted.

They're definitely worth a trip over there too - if only to see their stunning pond.

Website here.

Please can anyone tell me the name of the aquatic shop on nunnery drive.I need some black sealant for garden pond or any other shop to go for it thanks.

My Son moved house recently and inherited a pond with Carp and Goldfish in it. It’s about 3m by 3m with quite a large filter. There’s quite a build up of Algae in it at the moment- it’s in a very sunny spot so I suppose that helps the Algae to grow. Is it harmful to the fish or is it best to keep it under control?? If so, what’s the best way of dealing with it? Thanks.

There are numerous options.

Yes i'd personally clean out the algae or add some algae remover, and then add an additive that sends the pond water blue(can't remember its name). Its not always 100% but it helps.

Other ways are UV filters in the filter box - an additional filter box as well.

Some plants do help,lilies cover the surface in the summer and stop the UV.