Garden Pond Megathread All Garden Pond Threads Here

FISH IN GARDEN POND LAYING EGGS. SOME REMOVED INTO BUCKET TO PROTECT AND RAISE FOR BEST CHANCE OF SURVIVAL.

ANY ADVICE PLEASE, FIRST TIMERS AT THIS.

Thankyou

get an air pump and air stone in the bucket to keep the water moving, or net off an area of the pond to keep the eggs in

The bucket we've used has tiny holes in the bottom and its actually on the shelf in the pond with some oxygenation plants?? Any good?

My pond water is a really dark green colour does anyone know how I can make it clear again

My pond water is a really dark green colour does anyone know how I can make it clear again

Hi,

Have you checked the UV bulb in your filter recently? They recommend they should be changed every 12 months max.

I t is a mystery to me because we do absolutely nothing to our pond and it's clear, yet next door's is dark green.

Hi

is there any koi or pond keeping fish enthusiasts here ?

Looking for adviice and help setting up effective filtration. Have all equipment set up and running , but for some reason not working as effectively as it should.

Willing to pay reasonable amount for help or price of fuel .

Kind regards

Bash

Hi mate dunno if you got problem sorted or not? What problems are you having? Give us a few details and I might be able to help.

Cheers

Michael

Hi Mikey ,

thanks for your reply, , iv got an indoor tropical pond with tilapia and doing aquaponics, so growing veggies directly from the aquarium pond water, which runs off 3 barrel filtration, of which 2 are swirl filters and 1 a k1 filter media before it finally goes through vegetable grow bed.

BUT think somewhere down the line im doing it wrong.

The pond is looking really brown and impossible to see the fish which are dying.

Since then managed to do a lot of water changes 3 a week and water seems to be more clearer, so may have sussed things out from advice give,

However would love some one more professional to have a look and give me more advice .

Beer money and good Bangladeshi curry is what im offering for some advice and suggestions from the best

I'll be honest I've never dealt with aquaponics, or tilapia for that matter! I work with koi though. Sounds like a great little set-up, very interesting.

In regards to the problem your having, could be a number of things to look at.

Not sure if you use a growing substrate for the plants (aquatic compost or similar) but if you are maybe the substrate is making its way into the pond and not being removed efficiently by the mechanical filter media, causing high suspended solids in the water. This could be resolved by using a finer gauge matting in the filter, and or topping off with filter wool/floss similar to cotton wool (particularly effective at removing fines).

To be honest swirl concentraters are renowned for being somewhat lacking for mechanical filtration, particularly in high load environments. This may be your problem.

Dirty water shouldn't cause fish deaths in itself, but can stress fish by clogging/damaging gills at higher levels, resulting in increased disease susceptibility.

If you don't think this may be the cause, could it be that the bio filter isn't fully mature yet. I don't know how long you've had the system running, but for a filter to become fully mature can take weeks, if not months. In this maturing period too many fish or too much feed going in could cause ammonia/nitrite levels to spike. The responding bacterial blooms can cloud the water.

As ammonia and nitrite are extremely toxic to fish in all but the lowest levels, fish will die either through acute toxicity, or disease as result of stress caused by less than optimal conditions.

Water changes will help to keep pollutant levels in check while the filter catches up. And adding pond salt at 2 grams per litre will help block the effects of nitrite poisoning (not sure how well tilapia tolerate salt though).

As I say it's only guess work on my part I'm afraid. Not trying to teach you how to suck eggs so to speak lol. But these are certainly the first things I'd be looking at.

Ours was fine yesterday and today is almost empty so the rubber must have split. Anyone know any decent people who could empty / clean / replace? Need to remove the stone flagging and replace the liner I suspect. Probably a couple of days work

How do you feed your fish if you go away? Any advice please?