Garden Pond Megathread All Garden Pond Threads Here

The general advice is not to move frogspawn/toadspawn/newtspawn between ponds if possible, because it risks the spread of ranavirus and aquatic pest plants.

The general advice is not to move frogspawn/toadspawn/newtspawn between ponds if possible, because it risks the spread of ranavirus and aquatic pest plants.

Thanks for that.

Problem sorted now.

Edited by Voltaire

My pond has oily looking scum on top and all weed seems to be going black and dying?? :confused:

Do pigeons bathe in it? They are culprits in my friends pond for leaving oily scum

I was given some plants to put in mine that feed off the algae.

What plants are they,what they called?

---------- Post added 17-05-2016 at 21:06 ----------

I don't know why so deep but I know he has some turtles so might be something to do with them .

That not a pond,it's a swimming pool lol :hihi:

While this post about ponds is on ,Please all with ponds around the jenkin road ,Brightside area be aware there is a heron visiting,its come to ours at least four times in the last fortnight that we know of.It is massive.

We are at Page Hall it got 4 of ours 2 wks ago and came back next day for last one ....We now have new fish and a Net lesson learned :mad:

I had a healthy pond with weed frogs etc but now everything dead and only black decomposing stuff on bottom

I presume as this rots in takes all oxygen from water?

Any ideas?:confused:

Yeah, rotting vegetation will suck all the oxygen out of the water. We have a real problem with lots of mature trees overhanging the garden, and leaves falling in the pond.

A couple of years ago I treated the pond with this stuff - http://www.aquaplancton.co.uk/ and it worked. I didn't do it this year, and all the frogspawn died. I've seen the odd frog and newt earlier this year, but now it's only invertebrates alive in there. This year I've committed to rigourously fishing the fallen leaves out every day or two.

Aquaplancton is a weird product, and it's hard to know how it works - but I guess it forms an inert substrate favourable to beneficial bacterial life in the main.

It's a bit "magic cure" and I'm not going to claim any miraculous properties, but it worked for me.

Well it may be an old post but the forum has directed me here, so it's just something we are curious about when we put daphnia in our garden pond. It's mystified me for years. Has anyone noticed that when you sprinkle it on the water it immediately and rapidly spreads out in all directions from the centre. Why ?

I would say that's because the daphnia was breaking the film on the surface of the water, the same happens when I sprinkle in flakes to feed the goldfish.

it reminds me of the "how to float a pin on water" trick.. and as soon as you add a drop of washing up liquid the pin sinks..

I would say that's because the daphnia was breaking the film on the surface of the water, the same happens when I sprinkle in flakes to feed the goldfish.

it reminds me of the "how to float a pin on water" trick.. and as soon as you add a drop of washing up liquid the pin sinks..

Yes, I think it must be that and probably the flakes or whatever in the middle pushing those at the side out. What astounds me is the rate at which it moves.

Hi we have a medium sized garden pond that the fish are now laying eggs for the first time. Needing pond plants ASAP... Oxygenation and floating.... S6 area