Sheffield v Manchester..and Sheffield wins hands down!!

Very good pininsho.

I can't believe that's the main grounds surrounding Manchester Cathedral. It looks truly awful. Wouldn't it have been better to compare it with Sheffield cathedral's environment though? Although I still think Sheffield cathedral square is much better than Manchester's after seeing your photos.

Also their cathedral looks less like a cathedral than Sheffield's does.

six45ive and pininsho..just thought I'd compliment you on your pics, some great images of Sheffield.

Sheffield like most places in the UK has its good and bad points. You've made some vaild points here ...well done.

Cheers

six45ive and pininsho..just thought I'd compliment you on your pics, some great images of Sheffield.

Sheffield like most places in the UK has its good and bad points. You've made some vaild points here ...well done.

Cheers

Thanks for the compliment Jack. With all the negativity about Sheffield on this forum and elsewhere (although some of it is well justified) I always try and portray Sheffield in a fair but positive light with my photographs.

As promised here's the next installment of Sheffield's Devonshire Green v Manchester's Cathedral Gardens. I've compared these with each other because they are both places where you find the local skater/indie/goth/emo kids hanging out so should get similar wear and tear.

Enjoy seeing Manchester get a good thrashing yet again!:D

http://community.webshots.com/slideshow/574513838UOUGkH?mediaPosition=31

Interesting comparisons pininsho. I didn't realise how run down and drab parts of Manchester are. I thought my home town of Brum is ugly enough but on your evidence Manchester gives it a good run for it's money.

Very good pininsho.

I can't believe that's the main grounds surrounding Manchester Cathedral. It looks truly awful. Wouldn't it have been better to compare it with Sheffield cathedral's environment though? Although I still think Sheffield cathedral square is much better than Manchester's after seeing your photos.

Also their cathedral looks less like a cathedral than Sheffield's does.

Yes, I did think about comparing the two cathedral areas but what was more important to me was the kind of people who mainly use the spaces. Sheffield's cathedral has lots of office workers and people waiting for the tram using it. When did you last see a suited office worker on a skateboard?:hihi: In other words I don't think our cathedral grounds get as much hammering as Manchester's or our own Devonshire Green for that matter.

Cheers

Thanks for the compliment Jack.

I agree that everywhere has it's good and bad points but as I reveal more of the two cities you'll hopefully begin to see a clear difference between Manchester that seems to have handed itself over lock, stock and barrel to the free market mantra of 'profit is everything' culminating in a city where the public realm is seen as an inconvenient add on to any development that takes place compared to Sheffield that hopefully is giving out the signal that 'we know profit is important but it's only one part of what makes a civilised society', culminating in an attitude of strong civic pride and a feeling of homeliness and belonging amongst it's citizens.

All of these apply to the Peace Gardens. I can walk to all of the above in 2-5 minutes from the Peace Gardens.

I agree that the majority of Manchester City Centre is nicer than Sheffield City Centre but then again they went through their revamp almost 10 years ago whilst Sheffield is only just starting this process.

I must admit I'm fairly shocked about how run down Piccadilly Gardens looks. It was only done up about 7 years ago

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Peace Gardens may look the same in 7 years as well as the new Devonshire Green! Not everything stands the test of time! Just shows how behind everyone else Sheffield is if It's only just started neccesary development in the last couple of years, see if they have managed to maintain it anything can look good brand new! I don't think a few bits of grass being uneven is gonna be of major concern to any council really!

This author is obviously picking at small holes to try and justify his onsided arguement convientially forgetting things that Manchester has that Sheffield Doesn't! A Proper 'International' Airport and 2 'Well Esatablished' Top Flight Football Teams to Name a couple! :)!

The Peace Gardens may look the same in 7 years as well as the new Devonshire Green! Not everything stands the test of time!

The problem for Manchester is that the Peace Gardens are older than Piccadilly Gardens which just goes to show what poor value Piccadilly Gardens are when they look so run down after such a short period of time.

The main reason that things don't stand the test of time is that they are built of poor quality materials and/or are poorly designed. This is usually to do with cutting corners and wanting to do things on the cheap which turns out to be a false economy because the maintenance costs then become higher to compensate for the faults at the outset. Either that or proper maintenance doesn't happen at all culminating in what you see in Manchester.

The Peace Gardens may look the same in 7 years as well as the new Devonshire Green! Not everything stands the test of time! Just shows how behind everyone else Sheffield is if It's only just started neccesary development in the last couple of years, see if they have managed to maintain it anything can look good brand new! I don't think a few bits of grass being uneven is gonna be of major concern to any council really!

This author is obviously picking at small holes to try and justify his onsided arguement convientially forgetting things that Manchester has that Sheffield Doesn't! A Proper 'International' Airport and 2 'Well Esatablished' Top Flight Football Teams to Name a couple! :)!

Ahh good points raised there. Manchester also has a far better public transport network than Sheffield. Four city centre mainline train stations, an expanding tram network, a proper airport and nightbuses - some nightbus routes operate seven days a week. Compared to Sheffield which has a mainline train station on the outskirts of the city centre, a reasonable tram network and buses that end by midnight at the latest. Hmmm.

Edited by Sheff2006

i agree i think sheffield is much better than manchester by far. i've lived here since i was 11 yrs old and i love it.

I don't think you need to diss Manchester to highlight Sheffield's good points.

Personally I prefer Manchester's city centre by a long way and if you're honest with yourself you know it's the much more successful city but Sheffield also has a lot of things in it's favour. I love the peace gardens, I eat my lunch there whenever the weather's nice :)

It's good that Sheffield has nice city centre features, it doesn't have much else going for it! Like others have said, lets see if it stands the test of time.

I see not much has been said about the large groups of immigrant men who hang around the Peace Gardens though, making women uncomfortable.

But Sheffield does indeed beat Manchester in the parks department.

Number of bodies found in Sheffield Parks this week: 1

Number of bodies found in Manchester Parks this week: 0

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/8245673.stm

:)