Kitchen knives,made in Sheffield?

They made sell on knives not made in Sheffield, but the ones that are etched 'made in Sheffield' then those ones really are - David Mellor has been on the rob with foreign cutlery and kitchen knives made in the far east for years now - but since the patterns are more modern and the price is high people lap it up - good luck to him, but it makes people wonder about the real sheffield cutlers like TEW and AP/GB

I have seen products (beveled blades) that have been shipped in complete and ready for resale and then etched up as made in Sheffield before, many times in fact.

Its quite commendable opting for the sheffield steel knives, but to be honest there are far better alternatives available from Germany or even Japan.

I have a set of Gustav Emil Ern/Victorinox knives I bought when first qualified as a chef in the 70's, and have recently bought a set of Global. These are without doubt the best I have ever used.

Global knives are awesome quality, I have had my eyes on an 11 piece G series block for a while after having a play with some at a display.

Agree Global knives are the dogs. Had mine for 11 years now and they are still as good as the day I got them.

Not only knives, Surgical items are also badged up as "made in sheffield"

Downs Surgical which is now owned by BBRAUN (Germans!) claim their items are made in Sheffield, when in fact many are not.

It's sad to see the NHS (British!) Supporting foreign companies (German) so readily.

Why do our ambulances have French badges on them when we have LDV?

Not only knives, Surgical items are also badged up as "made in sheffield"

Downs Surgical which is now owned by BBRAUN (Germans!) claim their items are made in Sheffield, when in fact many are not.

It's sad to see the NHS (British!) Supporting foreign companies (German) so readily.

Why do our ambulances have French badges on them when we have LDV?

Surgical knives are made in Sheffield by Swann Morton. Who have modern

factories on Bradfield Rd and Penistone Rd. See ther website below.

http://www.swann-morton.com/

Has anyone bought the new range of kitchen knives from the David Mellor factory shop or from the Millenium Gallery believing they were made in Sheffield? (I think they are hardened in dry ice) they look very good, in fact they are good but they are made in China and they are imported for a couple of U.S. dollars each and then sold for over £50 each.

Yes, I've got one. A lovely knife, very well balanced and and very sharp.

I went on the factory tour at Hathersage and they are definately made there and sent away to have the hardening process (think it was to Manchester) as they can't do it at the Hathersage site due to planning restrictions. The factory is well worth a visit and I would highly recommend the knives. I was lucky enough to get mine half price as a slight second, and as I use it everyday and should last for years, for me the money was well spent.

WarPig

eyewitness knives definitely are made in sheffield,i've met one of the lads that makes them, also, i have a lovely folding pocket knife made by him in a presentation box;)

regards, john:)

EDIT- oops, i see someone from taylors' has already replied;)

You must be talking about Russ then :)

He's a master at his job.

Here he is making a pocket knife

Many people are having to import cutlery from China, because Carrs are not allowing anyone to buy from them.

We import knives from China, but we DO NOT mark them up as Made in Sheffield.

The majority of knives that come in from China are for the big supermarkets.

Thats good to hear.

Ive also got a Sabatier kitchen knife and I seem to recall the packaging said it was made by TEW

I have an expensive Wusthof chefs knife, but had I known about TEW then I would perhaps have bought one of theirs istead.

The Sabatier knives I believe you are talking about are not marked up as T.E.W.

They are infact made in France. :)

http://www.premiercutlery.co.uk/ind_cat/kitchen_knives/sabatier

Premier Cutlery is our online shop :)

Surgical knives are made in Sheffield by Swann Morton. Who have modern

factories on Bradfield Rd and Penistone Rd. See ther website below.

http://www.swann-morton.com/

Yep all of their items are 110% made in Sheffield :)

I work for T.E.W, I can assure you that if they have the Taylor's eye witness etchmark on the blade, then they are. The steel is from Sheffield, they are heat treated at Geo H Greensmith, then vibratory polished, ground in our grinding shops, handle finished, warehoused on and packed in our factory. :)

I thoroughly recommend the Tayor's Eye Witness knives that are made in Sheffield. :thumbsup:

Just make sure you get the proper Sheffield made ones and not the Sabatier they also sell. Go to Morton's on West Street to buy them and support two local businesses at the same time.

Yes, I've got one. A lovely knife, very well balanced and and very sharp.

I went on the factory tour at Hathersage and they are definately made there and sent away to have the hardening process (think it was to Manchester) as they can't do it at the Hathersage site due to planning restrictions. The factory is well worth a visit and I would highly recommend the knives. I was lucky enough to get mine half price as a slight second, and as I use it everyday and should last for years, for me the money was well spent.

That range is called CITY the handles are made there but the blades come from France then they are assembled and finished at the Round Building, Wallwork do the hardening of the blades.The small pairing knives of that range are made in Japan. The blades of the larger knives are prone to cracks.