Kitchen knives,made in Sheffield?

Has anyone bought the new range of kitchen knives from the David Mellor factory shop or from the Millenium Gallery believing they were made in Sheffield? (I think they are hardened in dry ice) they look very good, in fact they are good but they are made in China and they are imported for a couple of U.S. dollars each and then sold for over £50 each.

This happens with many "Made in Sheffield" items, a lot of Sheffield made blades are actually pressed and heat treated in other countries but beveled over here and then badged up as Sheffield made.

I recently bought some Taylors Eye Witness kitchen knives that claim to be made in Sheffield. Im quite pleased with them.

I recently bought some Taylors Eye Witness kitchen knives that claim to be made in Sheffield. Im quite pleased with them.

I work for T.E.W, I can assure you that if they have the Taylor's eye witness etchmark on the blade, then they are. The steel is from Sheffield, they are heat treated at Geo H Greensmith, then vibratory polished, ground in our grinding shops, handle finished, warehoused on and packed in our factory. :)

I work for T.E.W, I can assure you that if they have the Taylor's eye witness etchmark on the blade, then they are. The steel is from Sheffield, they are heat treated at Geo H Greensmith, then vibratory polished, ground in our grinding shops, handle finished, warehoused on and packed in our factory. :)

Thats good to hear.

Ive also got a Sabatier kitchen knife and I seem to recall the packaging said it was made by TEW

I have an expensive Wusthof chefs knife, but had I known about TEW then I would perhaps have bought one of theirs istead.

I've been recently looking for some genuine Sheffield made (not just Sheffield assembled) kitchen knives too and found that Taylors Eye Witness, like many other companies, do produce sets of knives that aren't made in Sheffield.

Its quite commendable opting for the sheffield steel knives, but to be honest there are far better alternatives available from Germany or even Japan.

I have a set of Gustav Emil Ern/Victorinox knives I bought when first qualified as a chef in the 70's, and have recently bought a set of Global. These are without doubt the best I have ever used.

I've been recently looking for some genuine Sheffield made (not just Sheffield assembled) kitchen knives too and found that Taylors Eye Witness, like many other companies, do produce sets of knives that aren't made in Sheffield.

They made sell on knives not made in Sheffield, but the ones that are etched 'made in Sheffield' then those ones really are - David Mellor has been on the rob with foreign cutlery and kitchen knives made in the far east for years now - but since the patterns are more modern and the price is high people lap it up - good luck to him, but it makes people wonder about the real sheffield cutlers like TEW and AP/GB

WarPig

eyewitness knives definitely are made in sheffield,i've met one of the lads that makes them, also, i have a lovely folding pocket knife made by him in a presentation box;)

regards, john:)

EDIT- oops, i see someone from taylors' has already replied;)

Edited by biggsy

why do kitchen knives have points instead of rounded ends? as you don't use the point's to cut stuff it would be better to get rid of the points and have rounded ends it would also reduce knife crime

thats the best solution,buy knives from a reputable sheffield company and keep sheffield workers employed ,after all they are the best knife craftsmen in the world

why do kitchen knives have points instead of rounded ends? as you don't use the point's to cut stuff it would be better to get rid of the points and have rounded ends it would also reduce knife crime
points are needed when boning meat or scoring it before rubbing salt into the skin or for just making entry into the skin when filleting or skinning