Traditional cooking V Fast food takeaways

My husband is the cook in our household. I on the other hand would burn a salad. Im hopeless. So recently ive started paying attention and im now learning to cook myself!

Been out all afternoon blackberry picking in order to try my hand at an apple and blackberry pie...

I love home cooked food, but every now and again indulge in a KFC...Surely once every now and again doesnt hurt?

Pizza, sandwiches, chips, burgers and chicken nuggets do seem to make up the most of some peoples diets nowadays along with alcohol.

Some people will even class the above as cooking.

Cooking needs to be taught at school more. Home economics needs bringing back.

I am shocked at the amount of young women especially who cannot cook. Amongst my friends who are the same age as me, it seems to be the men who cook more and are better at it. I think it is some what down to the feminists who wanted women to be equal, instead of encouraging men to cook and teaching theem, they forgot to pass the skills onto their daughters and sons.

Cooking at home is not all that expensive, I find it cheaper, although more time consuming. It is easily made more expensive if you spend daft amounts of money on things that can be bought cheaply and made from scratch.

Yorkshire puddings for example, cheap as chips to make, quite expensive to buy and warm up. I wonder how many people don't bother buying egg and flour!

That said, if I were a burglar I would steal people's spice racks.

My Girlfriend's daughter has just gone to Uni. Last week she served up uncooked naan bread and a cup-a-soup, in a bowl, topped up with water.......there really is no hope!

I know of a female who thinks that you cook pizzas in the grill, and turn em over half way through, top cook eh lol.

Only if you don't want no toppings.....

prefer takeaway personally.

me aswell you can't beat a nice kebab :)

I know of a female who thinks that you cook pizzas in the grill, and turn em over half way through, top cook eh lol.

Only if you don't want no toppings.....

I had a friend at uni who tried to fry spaghetti

Cant decide now ?? Kebab or Roast beef and yorkshire pud with onion gravy and mashed potatoes with cabbage carrots and green beans, Horse radish and English mustard ? By gum its a no brainer...gimmee a kebab any day :hihi::hihi: Or maybe roast beef ?? I dont know now :huh::help:

I enjoy cooking, one of my favourite times of the week is a sunday when I shut the kitchen door, put my favourite cd on, pour a glass of wine, oh and start preparing the sunday roast lol.

I do enjoy the occasional takeaway though, especially a chinese!

I can prepare a meal from scratch and have it on my plate in 20 minutes. Admittedly it is just for one but it takes three minutes to peel a spud and a carrot, wash some broccoli, put them all in one casserole dish, into the microwave for 15 mins. Warm up grill for pork fillet, cook for 7 mins. Serve with nice glass of wine.

That's my Sunday lunch today.

It intrigues me when in town to see so many people of all ages eating 'on the hoof'. I would wish they could relax and take time to eat properly (sitting down and enjoying their food)

I honestly believe that the art of traditional cooking is fast fading into the oblivion, with the amount of choice being offered by fast food takeaways and restaurants, supermarkets and pubs etc.

Young families seem to be going out more and more for meals not cooking meals, especially the traditional Sunday dinner.

Instead of the traditional Sunday lunch it seems far easier and cheaper for people to go out and eat, but is the art of cooking fast fading.

Some young families now seem to be living on fast food take aways, and fish and chips, and the only substantial meal that some kids have is when they are at school, sandwiches also seem to be the norm.

Not only that I'm sure some young mothers/fathers have no idea whatsoever how to cook a meal, even the supermarkets are providing oven ready and micro wave meals, and food that just requires heating up before serving.

Are we becoming a nation that is being spoon fed by all these fast food takeaways and the big commercial supermarkets.

Are there many of you out there who love to cook, or prefer fast food?

Personally I can't boil water without burning it.

Take care

I cook fresh for myself daily, only have takeaways as a treat sometimes at weekends.

My youngest sprog won't touch ready meals and the only takeaway that occassionally passes his lips is a pizza. When he went to uni I prepared a recipe book of the dishes he liked at home. I save the Good Food mag for him which everyone in his house uses. I had a phone call at work one afternoon that went a bit like this "mum I'm in Sainsburys and I want the ingredients for that chicken dish. How many chicken breasts do I eat?". Now if only I could get him to cook when he comes home..........

Take aways. Faster, tastier, only a couple of quid more expensive.

I sometimes feel the whole 'take your time to prepare and enjoy good cuisine' angle is basically a poncey way of showing off cooking skills, asserting a middle-class sophistication. It has a gentle aroma of smugness, peppered with a sprinkle of superiority...there may also be a drizzle of balsamic vinegar involved, but i couldn't be certain.