Dog kennel help needed for owner of a serial chewer!!

Now i have rescued a rottweiler collie cross male dog approx now 12 mths old and he loves chewing, i only work a few hours a week but he stays in the garden when i go out, i bought a new kennel for him, carpeted it, bought a rubber type door thing he can walk into to stop wind & rain coming in, he had his ben in ther e- the lot! He diced to take the carpet out and chew that up then take the floor out of it and yep chew it and then took the tongue & groove panels off the front!! Therefore it has ended up in the tip! Now i need to buy a new kennel but i wonder if i can edge it in metal but god knows where i can get metal from that would fit round the edge of kennel and the door, any suggestions on how i can do this? I dont actually live in the sheffield area but i do have b&q's etc round my way, im just stuck...

He's probably chewing because he's bored, or stressed because he's not used to being left alone.

Try finding some toys to amuse him when you're not there - a Kong can keep them happy for a good while, and there are probably other toys he'll like as well. Rather than leaving him alone for several hours when you go out, put him in his kennel for shorter periods of time, gradually increasing the time you leave him. This will help him get used to the idea of being left. When you let him out, if he gets all over-excited, ignore him until he calms down, then give him a fuss.

Hope that helps.

I thought that B&Q did aluminium profile. Alternatively try a greenhouse retailer as my Dad made some greenhouse shelving out of aluminium profiles (2 Wests and Elliott spring to mind but I don't know if they still exist).

I would agree with Dozy - I think he is going bored and stressed - and would recommend getting the stuffed bones and stuffed kong.

There are some of those plastic type kennels on ebay - they are good.

I thought that B&Q did aluminium profile. Alternatively try a greenhouse retailer as my Dad made some greenhouse shelving out of aluminium profiles (2 Wests and Elliott spring to mind but I don't know if they still exist).

Yes, they do. But I think the best solution is to stop the chewing, rather than trying to build a chew proof kennel. The dog will probably still try to chew and could damage his mouth.

I would agree with Dozy - I think he is going bored and stressed - and would recommend getting the stuffed bones and stuffed kong.

Oh - and stuffed hoofs (or is that hooves?). They look and smell disgusting, but my dogs adore them - even after they've got all the filling out, they still love to chew the hoof.

He's probably chewing because he's bored, or stressed because he's not used to being left alone.

Try finding some toys to amuse him when you're not there - a Kong can keep them happy for a good while, and there are probably other toys he'll like as well. Rather than leaving him alone for several hours when you go out, put him in his kennel for shorter periods of time, gradually increasing the time you leave him. This will help him get used to the idea of being left. When you let him out, if he gets all over-excited, ignore him until he calms down, then give him a fuss.

Hope that helps.

thanks, its not thboredom andhe has 2 kongs and millions of toys, hes just a chewer, he does it when im thre also, he pinches things off me all the time! i need to buy a new kennel and try and find the right metal material that can be put round all the edges somehow!!

aluminium profile, is that what i need that can be bent round and somehow attached to all the edges of the kennel?

Oh god no way would i have a plastic one, he loves plastic, its his favourite thing to chew up!!

Yes, they do. But I think the best solution is to stop the chewing, rather than trying to build a chew proof kennel. The dog will probably still try to chew and could damage his mouth.

Ive had a trainer round and he said hes just a chewer naturally and he may well grow out of it and all i can do is stop him when he does it when im there and stop him from pinching, so in the meantime ill just have to put up with it but he needs s cosy place now the weathers getting bad for just a few hours throughout the week when i have to go out

Ive had a trainer round and he said hes just a chewer naturally and he may well grow out of it and all i can do is stop him when he does it when im there and stop him from pinching, so in the meantime ill just have to put up with it but he needs s cosy place now the weathers getting bad for just a few hours throughout the week when i have to go out

My Staffy dog chewed until he was about 18 months, then he (thankfully) stopped! But he'd practically eaten a wood-framed 3-piece suite in the meantime.

Instead of putting him outside in a kennel, have you considered crating him in the house?