E. H.Pickfords Ecclesall Rd

Remember all the names mentioned, had some great laughs with Gary Marsh in the stores, worked there from 73 - 75

I worked there cleaning trade-ins and delivering new Avengers from some site off the M1 back to Ecclesall Road in 1971.  Didn't last long as I wasn't cut out for hard, dirty work. I remember the prep workshop and car park further up Ecclesall Rd.  Tried to find it the other day - but unsuccessful.   I think the showrooms are now a Marks and Spencer’s

Everyone very helpful and friendly.  Some lads took liberties with the cars - so many dings in the carpark - the manager used to say,” all right, who did this?  I expect it was Mr Nobody again?

We used to always look behind the steering wheel boss on Avengers as there was often a few pence there which the owner had stored for parking.

As a soft southerner I wasn’t asked to make the tea again after one go - someone said it was like maiden's water.

I remember the guy who used to do the steam cleaning got fired on the spot because he's been stealing from the cloakroom.  He'd been caught because the manager put some kind of green dye into a coat pocket. Steam clean guy couldn't wash it off!

One car we delivered ran out of petrol fright in from of the showroom so that manager drive it up on the starter motor!

I'm Tony Clayton and I worked in sales from November 1965 to 1972. I remember everyone mentioned and was friends with John Fairbourn and Tony Topley . John Fairbourn is sadly no longer with us but Philip Hall and Ian Goodacre are still around. I had some great times at Pickfords and also remember some others, Les Houghton, John May, Graham Cook, who went to Pickfords in Derby I would love to hear from others who are still around