M1 speed cameras worry!!

its nearer 4%

thats half your figure, which is academic as HGV`s wont be moving 24hrs a day will they.

still it was a well made non point, as ALL the evidence shows journey times decrease with a reduced motorway limit.

50/56 * 100 = 89

100 - 89 = 11

11% isn't 4% but never mind, you're right that they won't be going 24 hours a day. But every hour they're not moving and not at their destination costs the operators - a 10% speed reduction has much the same effect be it over 1, 2, 4 or 24 hours, it's a 10% increase in how long it takes them to get to their destination. As the drivers have to take breaks, the effect would be magnified - journeys that can be done in one shift at the moment would take two. The damage to the economy would be felt.

Not sure what evidence you refer to that journey times decrease with the speed limit. On some over-capacity stretches of road, a reduced limit aids the flow and decreases accidents etc but applying such a limit across all roads would be quite an admission of failure in providing adequate road capacity.

Edited by HotPhil

Yes, the bit I've emboldened is the key point. The limit is reduced when the road is busy, and only when it is busy.

I recall a report from a few months ago following tests on the M42 (IIRC) where they tested using the hard shoulder as a lane, along with, I think, the variable speed limits. The conclusion was that using the hard shoulder was "A Good Thing" - But I wonder if the main benefits to reducing congestion was the variable speed signs. I think they work well.

That's now in permanent operation. Works well when no one's broken down. The lower limit aids flow and promotes safety, but it's a cheap solution to an over-capacity stretch of road.

That's now in permanent operation. Works well when no one's broken down. The lower limit aids flow and promotes safety, but it's a cheap solution to an over-capacity stretch of road.

Years ago, (1988 give or take a year or two, IIRC) I used to occasionally travel from South Yorkshire to Bromsgrove. Initially I used the A38 - until they opened the A42/M42 link. Sometimes, there seemed to be just me on it. How times have changed.

Drove through the stretch by Junction 34 to 35 yesterday and all the 50mph signs had been removed (both directions) but the cameras are still there, no sign saying "Camera not in use".

Unfortunately many local drivers being aware that this had been restricted previously to 50 were observing this speed - many others not been told that it was a restriction were maintaining motorway speed - I believe you can get fined for driving too slow on a motorway.

At the end of the camera area there was however still a "national speed limit applies sign" -

so what do people think - restricited to 50 because it used to be or 70?

If there are no 50 mph signs at the beginning of the works or reperters (circular with red edging and '50') then the speed limit reverts to derestricted which is 70mph on a motorway. The cameras are still there because they may want to restrict the speed in the future for comminsioning works etc...

Drove through the stretch by Junction 34 to 35 yesterday and all the 50mph signs had been removed (both directions) but the cameras are still there, no sign saying "Camera not in use".

Unfortunately many local drivers being aware that this had been restricted previously to 50 were observing this speed - many others not been told that it was a restriction were maintaining motorway speed - I believe you can get fined for driving too slow on a motorway.

At the end of the camera area there was however still a "national speed limit applies sign" -

so what do people think - restricited to 50 because it used to be or 70?

yes i find it very misleading at the moment now, should i be doing 50 still? as there is like you say no sign saying camera not in use. Very confusing.

also something else i have noticed, call me wierd but where the hard shoulder is coned off still has anyone noticed that going down the road there is 1 cone then a pile of 2, 1 cone then a pile of 2, 1 cone then a pile of 2 and so on and so on....whats all that about? its not a mistake either by the cone laying bloke as its the same in each direction.

I bet nobody else hase noticed that, can you tell how bored i am driving to and from work??

I'm not from Sheffield and so was travelling on this section of the M1 for the first time in a long while. I also noticed that there were no 50 mph signs but that the cameras were still there - though pretty hard to see as there is not much lighting etc. This was pretty confusing and people were all driving at different speeds. I guess the locals carried on at 50 mph and people from outside the area went through at 70. Also at the end of the stretch there is a national speed limit sign which is even more confusing!

Anyway I rang the Sheffield safety camera partnership this morning to find out what is going on. They tell me the only live cameras are junction 33 to 32. The junction 34/35 cameras are no longer in use (at present). I suggested they could put some clearer signposting up.

I was about to post about that, the cameras are still in-situ but the speed limit signs are no longer present, I thus strolled over Tinsley Viaduct at the NSL as I should/can.

If you were driving that (possibly Nissan) 4x4/oversized pick-up hogging lane 3, driving at 50 with two lanes to your left free you fail at life.

Also at the end of the stretch there is a national speed limit sign which is even more confusing!
It should confuse you, the speed limit on motorways is the NSL. This is the sign that tells you. It should ideally have been removed as the speed limit is already the NSL before the sign. Let's consider it a repeater.
If imposing a maximum speed of fifty will increase the average speed at which traffic moves, you'd have to be seriously deranged not to suggest it. Indeed, it's been talked about for years, particularly with regard to the M25, parts of which do have such a system in place. Whenever the traffic gets busy, the limit is cut.
You are seriously deranged if think that true. A few years of experience of the M42 around Brum will tell you that reducing the speed limit makes drivers drive closer to each, reducing the speed even more effectively causing traffic jams. Either the highway can cope with the traffic or it doesn't. Reducing speed limits has no positive impact whatsoever. I won;t mention these limits being active when there is quasi no traffic... Edited by Captain_Scarlet
Added quote.