M1 speed cameras worry!!

Funny, I thought they were simply a form of punishment for people who broke the law by driving too fast as Heading North has calmly and clearly pointed out.

Perhaps the people who install them think they're revenue raisers (if so, they don't admit it!)

It is still, however, a silly thing to think; nobody has to pay a penny if they do not want to, let alone £60 and have points put on their licence.

The temporary limit has been enforced to enable the contractor to use 3 narrow lanes through the whole length of the works, a distance of approx 25km.

This means that the works can be undertaken in a shorter time hence benefiting the motorist in the long term.

When complete there will be 4 running lanes which will hopefully improve things on that stretch. This all depends on all drivers using the lanes responsibly which will never happen

Funny, I thought they were simply a form of punishment for people who broke the law by driving too fast as Heading North has calmly and clearly pointed out. There's no need to get worked up about them because they don't get your money if you don't break the speed limit. Seems simple enough, it's always worked for me.

There is plenty of evidence that speed cameras do NOT prevent accidents and bad driving.

Have you ever broken the law in your life by the way?

There is plenty of evidence that speed cameras do NOT prevent accidents and bad driving.

But as has been posted to death on here, these are average speed cameras with a specific function, to protect both drivers and the workforce within the length of the road works. They will be gone once the work is complete. Cant we just put up with them till then?

You cannot compare them to a single site speed camera taking an instantaneous speed from a vehicle at that one spot. That’s a totally different concept, and yes some evidence does point to these not having as much effect on accidents as was originally claimed.

The thing is....

When everyone IS driving at an average of 50mph through the works - the traffic runs lovely and smooth even at busy times.

But then you always get the d1ck steaming down the fast lane, and as soon as he hits the brakes everyone behind does too - result? Tailbacks....

Have you ever broken the law in your life by the way?

How is this a relevant question? There is nothing to prevent someone being a lawbreaker themselves, and yet accepting the need for lawbreakers (themselves included) to be caught and dealt with. Particularly so, in cases where breaking the law can occur by lack of attention rather than deliberate intent, as is the case with many driving offences - indeed, one of those offences is called "driving with due care and attention."

Most of the drivers I know personally have, at some point, been stopped for some offence or other, but that does not stop them from agreeing that traffic laws should be enforced. Without exception, they all agree on that, even if it means they get collared themselves for making a mistake.

The thing is....

When everyone IS driving at an average of 50mph through the works - the traffic runs lovely and smooth even at busy times.

But then you always get the d1ck steaming down the fast lane, and as soon as he hits the brakes everyone behind does too - result? Tailbacks....

Totally agree, the speed limit should be reduced to 50mph on all motorways at all times.

Totally agree, the speed limit should be reduced to 50mph on all motorways at all times.

Well it's a good job your not Transport Minister then, because that is the most ridiculous idea I have heard all week.

To return to the origanal query,

you will be extremely unlucky to get a ticket for doing 60mph

by these cameras.

If they ticketed everyone who does that speed ,the system just

would not cope .

Your average would have been about 54-55 given the leeway given,

so fear not.

I myself always keep to the limit,honest guv.

if you were that tired why were you on a motorway let alone driving anyway ?

if you were that tired why were you on a motorway let alone driving anyway ?

I wasnt parti ularly tired i just wanted to get where i was heading, its dark and i dont really like drving in dark and there were no men working either!

To return to the origanal query,

you will be extremely unlucky to get a ticket for doing 60mph

by these cameras.

If they ticketed everyone who does that speed ,the system just

would not cope .

Your average would have been about 54-55 given the leeway given,

so fear not.

I myself always keep to the limit,honest guv.

thank you, i only asked one question, this is getting rather over the top now!!