Lindsay Road Junior & infants school

Just came back to lay a wreath to all the pupils who passed through the school from my year of '45 til it finally closed when ever, had many friends, scary teachers, but on reflection had a good time there. Would be nice to meet up with those who don't have "puters" and don't know how people want to get in touch with their roots.

I have been looking for Maureen Slater for many years with no luck,I met her in our last year of senior school, we left Southey Green school at the summer break in July 1958.I am not sure but was told that she came from another school for the seniors,she lived on Deerlands near the roundabout where the #10 (110) used to turn around.

If anyone knows of her whareabouts i would love to no how she has been doing,the last time i saw her she was a nurse at Northern General Hospital.You can pm me at gmwyatt@mts.net

When I left Lindsay Junior's in !961 the teachers were Miss Smith,Mr Spencer Mrs Wright,Mr Stables and Mr.Crossley.

May have missed one out though...head Was Mr Lovvat. Maybe spelled wrongly.

Is ther anyone out there who attende Lindsay Road Junior and infants school during and just after the war. Prefab buildings with Miss Edge, Mr Crossley, Mr hartley, Mrs Brown etc

i attended lindsay road primary from about 1947 to 1951 took 11+there and failed then whent to hartley brook, mr hartley was head teacher at lindsay i was in miss edge,s class she was blonde , also remember mrs,gray, learnt to play football and rounders there thats all i was good at prefab huts gone now the road to houses is called kindergarten close or similar

i went there 76 to 79, i remember the jumble sales they used to hold in the dinner hall in the 6 week holidays, its got new build houses on the land now.

I went to Lindsay Road but i didnt start until 1964 and dont remember too much about it apart from my first day.

went to lindsay road school 43-49 prefab type classrooms large playground 2 large air raid shelters full of jam-jars i believe these jars were collected for the war effort jam-jars were a lot bigger then 2 teachers i remember are miss tunstall who was verry fussy and mr cleary who had connections with the raf he looked the part with his ginger moustache years later it was reported in the star that he had passed away and as a mark of respect a flypast of aircraft had flown over his home names that i can still remember gloria wyatt margaret wallace harry theaker tony blunt kieth brassinton also one of the fowlers who used to live at the bottom of masters road i have a photo of one of the class groups about 37 in the class

Yes I remember Santa Lucia but there was another song that we sang just before the six week holiday which started like " Good bye Lindsey we are leaving-----------------------", cannot remember the rest or the tune even.

was there 63 to 67 then went to southey green.

I went to lindsay rd infants and then the junior school from 1946 until about 1951 when I tranfered to Hartley Brook School were I stayed till Christmas 1957. I remeber the prefab classrooms well and also atended there during my teenage years. In the evenings a youth club ran there.

Rogertheroof

Just came back to lay a wreath to all the pupils who passed through the school from my year of '45 til it finally closed when ever, had many friends, scary teachers, but on reflection had a good time there. Would be nice to meet up with those who don't have "puters" and don't know how people want to get in touch with their roots.

I was there from nursery to J4, left in 1960. Mr Crossley was my teacher

for J3 & J4. It was a lovely little school, all pre-fab buildings, they were going to knock it down for ever - until they finally did..... so many children passed through that school, many went on to achieve much success.

My favourite teacher was Miss Meggison, she was my teacher for J1 & J2,

such a lovely lady, all of our class were invited to her wedding. She left the school and moved to Rutland, she had twin boys so I heard. I have tried to find her, to thank her for being such an inspiring teacher, over the years without success.

Alan Belk, was your sister (Joyce) May Queen ?

I also went to the Youth Club in later years. Stan Cooke was the Leader,

her was such a lovely gentleman.

We also collected old newspapers in one air raid shelter, I was there from '45 until '51. went back to visit about 2years after i left and couldn't believe that I sat at those small desks.

Can only remember one May Queen and that was Joyce Simmonite who lived on deerlands Ave where I lived, she was a stunner.

I don't remember collecting newspapers, but I do remember collecting jam jars, this was a few years later than you, Alan, we used to go door to door asking if they had any old jam jars, most people did, some in the private houses on Elm Lane would take us to greenhouses and give us dusty jam jars with spiders webs on them but we took them all anyway... don't remember how we used to carry them, most of us didn't have much of anything back then. Once we got them to school, we had to help store them in the air raid shelters, there were miles and miles of jars in there. If they still used glass jars there would be a lot less land and sea pollution today.

Teachers I remember, Mrs Nora Fleming, Head of Nursery School, (photo on Friends Reunited), Infants Miss Linacre. Mrs. Woodhead - much loved.

Miss Tunstall, she taught my sister. American Exchange Teacher Mrs.

Mabel Bowen - she gave each child in the school a special American pencil.

Junior School Frank Lovett Head Master.

Teachers Miss Meggison/Megginson, Mr. Stables, & tough Mr M.F. Crossley.

May Day was the big annual event that we all loved, Maypole Dancing, folk songs, acting, country dancing, crowning of the May Queen and Captain, having the honour of being in the retinue. Happy Days, happy memories.

We also collected old newspapers in one air raid shelter, I was there from '45 until '51. went back to visit about 2years after i left and couldn't believe that I sat at those small desks.

Can only remember one May Queen and that was Joyce Simmonite who lived on deerlands Ave where I lived, she was a stunner.

I lived on Deerlands Ave opposite Joyce Simmoniite, and you are right she was a stunner. Her other two sisters were OK as well.

They lived in the house on the corner of park entrance.