Lindsay Road Junior & infants school

William30. You would have lived opposite the Catells. Gwen lived there with her mother. Gwen was friends with my sister. Did the Hawkesworths live in the house at the side of the

8foot. If they are the same we used to call the younger brother Hawkeye. Deerlands looks a lot different now. The house where I lived has been pulled down along with a lot of others. We lived three doors up from Blackhill.

Hya hawksworth s lived opposite side to 8ft, graham holt lived on corner of lindsay/deerlands hawksworth lived few foors down, catels were more or less oposite us fowler s were opposite later komanndors, gwenie catel was a bit older than me, our neighbours were nellie porter she had 3 daughters margret, jackie, cant think of other, bensons, mrs shipley, Jackson s lived direct opposite & pauline spotswood we all used to play together my friend them days were eric pashley and barry littlewood nice to reminisce bill

Hi, anybody from this prefab school on Parson Cross? I went there from about 1956 until taking the 11-plus in 1961.

Teachers I remember are Miss Bassett, Mrs. Tunstall, Mr.Crossley, Mr.Stables, Mr. Spencer, Mrs. Wright, Miss Nesbitt, Miss Smith, Mrs. Cheesewright.

Pupils' names I remember are Suzanne Marriott, Linda Bellard, Marian Deakin, Christine Pyle, June Pitts, Janet Hobson, Glynis Warrington, Alexandra Hawley, Susan Lucazewsky, Pauline Turner, Janet Hartley, Carol Crookes, Philip Revill, Warren Lewis, Robert Highton, Michael Pagden, the Tuffnells, Sylvia ? Commander, William Daff, Roland Hartle, Rodney Saxton, Edmund/Edwin somebody, Peter Varley, Maureen Sharland, Betty Marriott, ......

Hiya lovelace. I went to Lindsay Road. Nursery through to 4th year juniors left to go to Southey Green. You mentioned Peter Varley. His brother Stuart and I were big mates. Just looking at a picture of the old school buildings. Great School great times.

Hi Blackhill,

I knew you must be "one of ours", the Black Hill was for us lot on Deerlands to rollerskate down, & the only way of stopping was to fall into the field at the bottom. Anybody living across the river on Holgate was a foreigner to us.

I vaguely remember Stuart Varley, he must have been the year above me.

I remember old man Crossley giving Pete a smack on the back of the neck & he'd got a very painful boil at the time. He was always on Michael Pagden's case as well.

Mrs. Wright was a tartar. It was a good school though & gave us a good start in life. I passed for the grammar school but "crashed & burned" & left at 15.

Funny how things turn out.

Hi lovelace. I left Lindsay in 1957. Stuart left the same time. He went to Firth Park grammar. I used to live three houses up from the Black Hill. Most of the houses from black hill up to Adlington have been pulled down. when it snowed we used to have great fun sledging down Black Hill.

On 24/04/2018 at 14:57, lovelace said:

Hi, anybody from this prefab school on Parson Cross? I went there from about 1956 until taking the 11-plus in 1961.

Teachers I remember are Miss Bassett, Mrs. Tunstall, Mr.Crossley, Mr.Stables, Mr. Spencer, Mrs. Wright, Miss Nesbitt, Miss Smith, Mrs. Cheesewright.

Pupils' names I remember are Suzanne Marriott, Linda Bellard, Marian Deakin, Christine Pyle, June Pitts, Janet Hobson, Glynis Warrington, Alexandra Hawley, Susan Lucazewsky, Pauline Turner, Janet Hartley, Carol Crookes, Philip Revill, Warren Lewis, Robert Highton, Michael Pagden, the Tuffnells, Sylvia ? Commander, William Daff, Roland Hartle, Rodney Saxton, Edmund/Edwin somebody, Peter Varley, Maureen Sharland, Betty Marriott, ......

Hi Lovelace, I’m Janet Hobson (as was) I can’t believe you remember all the teacher’s names and pupils. It did jog my memory reading all the names. I went to Lindsay Road nursery, infants and juniors and left in 1961 to go to Southey Green. Used to play cowboys and Indians with Linda Bellard and Philip Revill and his older brother David. We all lived on Masters Road. Happy days.

Hi Janet,

I've only just seen your post on here,  or I'd have replied before.    I remember you very well,    I think I came to your house one dinnertime with Jillian Corbidge.                She lives in Leicester now but I'll remember you to her.          How's life treated you?

Linda

On 24/05/2019 at 15:19, lovelace said:

Hi Janet,

I've only just seen your post on here,  or I'd have replied before.    I remember you very well,    I think I came to your house one dinnertime with Jillian Corbidge.                She lives in Leicester now but I'll remember you to her.          How's life treated you?

Linda

Hi Linda, who are you? 

Hi Janet,

I was Linda Softley,     I lived on Deerlands Avenue.          I left there when I was about 13 or 14 & moved to Shirecliffe.

On 24/04/2018 at 14:57, lovelace said:

I was in Mr Stables class at that time and I remember almost all the above names ...however I must admit to being slightly miffed that no one mentioned MY name.

I was sat next to Janet Hobson ...any guesses?.

No..? Thought not....my name was Brian Cowling.

Yeah..the Commanders lived about 4  doors on from us in Deerlands Avenue..Sylvia was same age as me and also in the same class at Lindsay Rd.