Has any 1 done a course with ics

im thinking of do a course with ics but want to know thing first has any 1 done a course with them?is it real ?would i get a job out of it at the end of doing my course? you pay the money to do it but what if you dont get the qualifications you need for the job can any 1 help have you done a course with them am i worring for nothing ?tell me about yours and what you think to it thanks

is it real?

Yes

would i get a job out of it at the end of doing my course?

Nobody can possibly know that, but surely you have a better chance than if you don't.

you pay the money to do it but what if you dont get the qualifications you need for the job

If you do the right course then you should end up with the right qualifications!

am i worring for nothing?

Yes!

have you done a course with ics?

My wife started one, could not find a centre to do exam (they did not want to help), very un-helpful, IMO avoid them.

i have been looking up on them and found most ppl are not happy with them

I did a course with them a few years ago and found the course material very good. The feedback from the tutors was also very useful and I was pleased with my pass grade.

I also know someone who did ACCA (Accounting) over 5 years and is now working as financial director of a large company.

They made it quite clear that you had to find your own examinations centre. At the time I was living in London so this was not a problem. I sat my exams at the University of London who make one of their halls available for private candidates of various exams. However for Sheffield exam centres I don't know. Usually the best way is to contact the body that is setting the exam and request information about places where you can take your exam.

Check out the exam fees though they can be very expensive. For example if you wanted to take Mathematics GCSE privately the exam fees are over £200. (fees may vary depending on which board/body are setting the exam.)

I would suggest that you check all of this out before you commit to the course. At least if you decide to go ahead there will be no nasty surprises.

Edited by Deerobe

i have been looking up on them and found most ppl are not happy with them

I think it depends on how you utilise their services. I found them good and on the whole the course material was well constructed and understandable.

Home study requires a lot of self discipline and I know some who did not finish courses because they lacked the will to study on their own.

I Sent off to join them a few years ago cannot remember how long ago but looked forward to learning bookeeping.

I only received through the post half of the materials I needed and couldnt start the course. After many phone calls letters (I didnt possess a PC then) telling them that I hadnt received said course work which they adamantly said they had sent they eventually agreed (cos by this time I was fed up) to reimburse my money.

Things may have changed by now.

I did an online course on spreadsheets with Learndirect, it was excellent. I had an online tutor to chivvy me into doing the work! :hihi:

It was very cheap, too, because some of the courses get Government funding, which subsidise the full cost. Learndirect is run by the University for Industry, which was set up the Government, so I don't think they're an entirely commercial operation, ie: they're not likely to flog you a course just to make a profit, regardless of whether or not it will be of any help to you.

I'm always wary of the advertising for these learn-at-home courses.

They guarantee jobs of £30K immediately, when people who've gone the traditional route (school, college, uni) don't get that when they get a degree.

If it's a recognisable qualification (ie GCSE, A Level, BTEC or BSc) then it may be worth having, but if you get a qualification invented by them, I'm afraid I would just bin your CV if it landed on my desk.

I Sent off to join them a few years ago cannot remember how long ago but looked forward to learning bookeeping.

I only received through the post half of the materials I needed and couldnt start the course. After many phone calls letters (I didnt possess a PC then) telling them that I hadnt received said course work which they adamantly said they had sent they eventually agreed (cos by this time I was fed up) to reimburse my money.

Things may have changed by now.

Probably not - I fear I'm about to embark on a similar series of calls/letters.

I signed up last August for an A-Level in Releigious Studies, as I was thinking of a career change and wanted to see if a Religious Studies A-level, coupled with my degree in history would enable me to take a PGCE in RE/RS.

So, I signed up and received the opening pack which only included the first "module". I was introduced to a course tutor who appeared reasonably knowledgable and was very pleasant. I agreed to a 10 month payment plan on direct debit and started my payments. I never heard anything more from ICS until I was written to in December to say that they A-level syllabus' were changing for 09/10 and that I would need to have my course changed to the new syllabus - further to this I would receive "around February 2009" a new syllabus pack for the RS 09/10 syllabus.

I am yet to receive the new pack - despite 3 calls chasing them, and being told each time that there must have been an issue and they would resend. The last call I made to this effect was last Monday.

To be honest, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. They come across as being reputable, but for my £248 I am yet to receive the course information for which I have paid.

Whether I will get my money back or not remains to be seen.

im wanting to do interior design and wedding planning but dont have time to go to college has i work so home course is the best for me does anybody know of a good home course that i can trust to go with