Does anybody remember St George's C of E?

do's anybody remember st george's c of e school

Edited by joany

Do you mean the one near St Georges church and the old Jessops Hospital

Went there from about 1950 to 1955 and my mother went there as well seem to remember we had the same teacher even after all those years

My Brothers Was St Georges C OF E They Name Is William And Gordon Wright They Was Friend With Lewis and Jack Johnson

My Brothers Was St Georges C OF E They Name Is William And Gordon Wright They Was Friend With Lewis and Jack Johnson

Joan

Hi, I went to st. georges beet street in the war years of the 1940s and just after, my mother and her brothers was there years before me, they lived in Mitchel Street, and I lived in Bolsover Street from 1940 as we were bombed out from our other house in pitsmore nov 1940. all my friends went to this school,but as I live now in Holland it is hard to keep in touch

Regards Eros

I went to St. Georges from about 1945 to 1950, as it happened I was the only one to pass the 11+ exam although there were many others a lot cleverer than me. Think the headmaster at the time was a man called Cotton.

Got roped in for the choir at St Gorges church, used to make a bomb from any weddings held there got 7/6d for each one. Also used to make a lot of money carolling after we'd finish doing the rounds of the church regulars we'd split up and do our own rounds

Hi Extax man,

I am sure that I must know you, yes the head master at that time was Mr Cotton,although I think the one before was a Mr. Thraves, and I was one of the lads that failed the 11+ you may have been in the same class as me, two other teachers that I remember was Mrs Smith and a Mr Wright, I too tried the choir, but not for long, it was someone at that time called Garlik.maybe you cold give me a clue who you are.

Regards

Eros

I've just spotted this thread linking to memories of St Georges C of E School. I went to this school in the 1950s and remember Mr Loy was the PE teacher. Mr Wright, Mrs Smith and Mr Cotton were all part of the furniture here. In my class I remember Rodney Morrell, Dennis Monks, Albert Whitehead, Charlie Shirt, Alan Palmer, Robert Mills, Eric Boocock, Doug Jones, Gordon Holland and my mate off Edward St Flats Alan Crooks. Also girls I can recall are Madeline Mills, Madeline Smith, Pat Winslade, Silvia Foulstone, Sharon Rodgers, Margeret Swift and Ann Lemons. Some of the 'older boys' included Ronnie Dean who also lived on Edward St Flats. What great times they were, if only we had realised.

There were of course many more but approaching 70 years of age, I can't remember them all, sorry!

Jim Tyree

My Dad was the deputy head Bob Wright, does anyone remember him?