The old Disused Chapeltown Railway Station -Where is it ?

recently? or historically?

Well I cant remember seeing it been moved so it must have been years ago.

All I know is that if ur get on the opposite side of the tracks to ASDA and walk towards the bridge you have to walk over the old station

________

I-inhale

Edited by TheBlueDragon

:thumbsup:

Hi

I Lived in Chapeltown from 1957 to 1979 and even when I left my parents remained in Chapeltown till 2001. I remember the station the only wat on to the platforms were from sussex road and Arundel Rd this was before they built the Asda the land where the ASDA stands was a train marshalling yard .. so the answer to your question is really it may have moved only a very short distance as it was originaly just a bit further up towards Arundel Rd.. Now the was another station many many years ago in Chapeltown when the railway bridge crossed White Lane (it was demolished back in the 1960s when Neton Chambers foundry closed.. I think is was known as the north station...It was some where off White lane.

NOW does anyone remember when cowley hill which runs from Chapeltown to Thorpe hesley ran past the travellers pub and to the middle of thorpe hesley and not to the round about of the M1 as it does now. this was changed when the M1 was construced in the mid 1960s

I think they moved it so it would be closer to the railway line

It was probably in the late 8o's from memory, quite some time after the Asda was built, but it did move it closer to the centre of Chapeltown rather than Arundel Road where the old ticket office is.

I think they moved it so it would be closer to the railway line

Ithink they moved it because of the Asda opening. Previously the entrance had been in Sussex Road, off Loundside (called White Fields in the early years). There also was another station in Chapeltown at the bottom of White Lane. I remember it well, and the coal buckets which passed over the road, on their way to and from Newton Chambers and Smithywood Coking Plant.

It was probably in the late 8o's from memory, quite some time after the Asda was built, but it did move it closer to the centre of Chapeltown rather than Arundel Road where the old ticket office is.

It was way before that Tony.

Just for info, the old post office sorting office is still there at the end of Sussex road.

Access to the old station was via a steel staircase on the brow of the hill and you can still see where they were.

:thumbsup:

Hi

I Lived in Chapeltown from 1957 to 1979 and even when I left my parents remained in Chapeltown till 2001. I remember the station the only wat on to the platforms were from sussex road and Arundel Rd this was before they built the Asda the land where the ASDA stands was a train marshalling yard .. so the answer to your question is really it may have moved only a very short distance as it was originaly just a bit further up towards Arundel Rd.. Now the was another station many many years ago in Chapeltown when the railway bridge crossed White Lane (it was demolished back in the 1960s when Neton Chambers foundry closed.. I think is was known as the north station...It was some where off White lane.

NOW does anyone remember when cowley hill which runs from Chapeltown to Thorpe hesley ran past the travellers pub and to the middle of thorpe hesley and not to the round about of the M1 as it does now. this was changed when the M1 was construced in the mid 1960s

Yes, I remember it. There was a bus stop outside The Travellers Inn on Cowley Hill, and the footpath was a few feet higher than the road, with a railing in between. The road came out at the side of the Ball Inn at Thorpe Hesley, and was closed in 1968, as the MI section opened in May of that year.

Chapeltown has had two stations, or three if you count the resited one.

The first station was opened by the South Yorks Railway (which became the Manchester Sheffield & Lincs in 1874, then the Great Central in 1897, then the LNER in 1923 !) in 1854 and closed in 1953.

The second was opened by the Midland Railway (this became the LMS in 1923) in 1897 and was closed in 1984. A replacement station was opened a few hundred yards South in the same year. I assume it was moved to be in a more central/convenient location.

Edited by Justin Smith

There were two lines which used to run through Chapeltown, the Midland line (which was once Sheffield & Rotherham) was closed during the major closures in the 1950's, the old station is now a private house (this is where station road gets it name from) and the existing station, there was a time when Chapeltown had two railway stations on two separate railway lines.