Hamster with swollen ankle

Hi there

About 2 weeks ago I noticed my hamster was dragging his leg a bit when he walked, I pushed on it a bit and he showed no signs of pain and indeed seemed to push his leg back a bit as if it still was functioning. He was still able to get around fine so I didnt think too much of it.

Anyway last week I noticed around the ankle was a round swelling, it wasn't an abnormal colour, just looked a bit swollen but in an exact round firm ball shape.

I have been checking it each day and I am convinced it has got a bit bigger now, so he is going to the vets tomorrow morning.

I am torn between thinking it could be a tumour, or perhaps he had broken it and it is swollen.

Whilst he is otherwise in great health, he is over 2 and I know his chances arent good - not sure what the vet can really do to help him.

I feel so miserable today worrying about tomorrow, I have a feeling the vet will want to put him to sleep, whilst I know it is probably the answer it makes it no easier :(

Hi Minxykitten!!

Just wanted to say fingers crossed for you and your hammy tomorrow!! :)

xx

Hi,

I hope it went well for you and the little one at the vets.

My friends dwarf hamster had a problem like this about a month ago... it looked like it had broken its back leg, the foot was turned the wrong way round and was dragging it around. Didnt seem to be causing any pain, just hindered climbing a bit!

However, the swelling went down and it now seems to be walking and climbing fine!

They are little ones but still strong, hope urs is ok.

xx

Sadly the vet diagnosed it as a tumor and Henry was put to sleep before it caused him any pain. Very sad day :( xx