Who are the most overrated bands of all time?

All music of course is subjective and one man's classic album is another man's load of rubbish, but there are some bands who seem to be worshipped by a huge number of critics and fans whilst having very little to offer creatively. So I thought it opportune to ask who you think are the most overrated bands of all time, especially as someone at msn is also asking the same question.

http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/music/galleries/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=149239470

I'll start with a topical one; The Stone Roses debut LP has recently been rereleased as a 20th anniversary edition and has been hailed in some quarters as the greatest debut album of all time.

Yet get past the bluster and all you have is a bog standard guitar band with all the wit and imagination of a bunch of 4 football hooligans who'd just been dragged off the terraces and into the studio. Cliched guitar riffs, dull bass lines, a singer who couldn't hold a tune, the only concession to the converging dance/rock trends of the time being the underpinning of each song with that "funky drummer" drum loop that was so prevalent around 1989. At a time when the acid house movement was giving us new sounds and styles, it seems baffling that we should remember 1989 for an album that could have been recorded in 1969 so lacking was it in technological development.

The "emperor's new clothes" feeling was confirmed when their follow up album was finally released several years later, universally condemned and the band sank without trace. None of the band members went on to create anything of note in their post Roses careers either.

Lest you think I'm being too negative, there were great albums that came out around that time such as Primal Scream's "Screamadelica" and New Order's "Technique". But the Stone Roses were, and remain, as dull as the skies above the city they came from.

So who would you nominate as your most overrated bands of all time?

Oasis :gag: Awful band

Anything that came off xfactor or any show like that.

Boyzone

Steps

S club 7

I was thinking Stone Roses as I opened the thread.

Boyzone

Steps

S club 7

I think to call any of them a “band” is stretching it a bit.

Boyzone

Steps

S club 7

Fair point, but we all know that manufactured boy/girl bands aren't very good and their whole function is to make money through marketing of spin off products rather than their music. They can't be overrated because no-one rates them in the first place!

I'm thinking in this thread more of those bands taken seriously by the music press and who are perceived as being "classic" artists.

Oasis would be my number one choice. Does anyone go to see them to hear them play any of their post-1996 songs? Or does everyone just want to hear Wonderwall again?

I don't necessarily think they are overrated by people- I don't know how well regarded they actually are- but I despise My Chemical Romance with a burning passion, if that counts for anything.

Elvis Costello. I hate his whining voice. Music to get depressed by. The same goes for Morrisy.

The Beatles. They are the most hideous band ever. People went mad over them in the 1960s purely because they were all off their heads on drugs.