Sign in to follow this  

New Yorker - Hillsborough

Anyone with memories of this coffee bar down Hillsbro. Can just remember going in with my parents on Sat mornings back in Sixties. Did they have a juke box - or was that another place in the area ?

It may have had a juke box - I can't remember clearly but it was certainly popular. It was one of a number of coffee bars that opened in the early sixties, after the first Sheffield ones had opened in the mid-1950s. I think the "Disc Jockey" on London Road was the first, and it did of course have a juke box. As a kid I marvelled at the way the "arm" selected a record from the rack and placed it on the turntable..:)

Yes I agree the Juke Boxes fascinated me as a kid. There was so little pop music played on radio that it was often the only way of hearing the latest releases.

Cheers