Internet ban on illegal downloading

This is never going to happen.

agreed, and if it does.....lets see em catch me :hihi:

A DOS requires millions of zombie computers to simultaneously attack a specific IP.

The thing about comuters is we all know people in other countries and it only takes a good chain mail or the likes and it could be a regular occurance if people wanted it enough.

just look at the flash mob sindrome, every month a targeted attack and people power would win over Im sure.

A DOS requires millions of zombie computers to simultaneously attack a specific IP.

You would be more successful if you wrote an email telling everyone the website in question was giving away free LCD tv's than trying a DOS attack.

a DDOS attack does not need 'millions' of 'zombie' computers at all.......a mear 50-100 bots is sufficient...depending on the site ;)

Every country will try and form its own laws and subdue the internet as we know today if our Gov gets away with this so Im sure others will see it for what it is and jump on the band wagon and try and overturn this.

No because then SSL would serve no purpose.

Good to know, ta. Though your isp doesn't have to catch you do they, only monitor your amount of traffic.

Edited by waggy

have to wait and see if copyrouter is as good as they say, it intercepts your illegal download and offers the legal one instead but the charge is then added to your isp bill. as far as i can see its on trial in oz and is working as its designed to, but people are paying for the tracks at a greatly reduced rate, cant see how long that will last when its worldwide...... forgot to add this is not the older version that couldnt stop bit torrent.

Edited by fizzydrink
forgot to add

I quite agree Serapis, we asked for CD prices to be reduced but nothing happened.It's entirely their own undoing .

Total rubbish.

Most new CDs are available for about £8, and, with spotify and we7 you can even listen to whole albums for free, as many times as you want, before buying them.

Any more excuses?

Edited by zongamin

ok what about a dos attack ?

Illegal in this country and others. Punishable under UK law by up to two years in jail.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1990/UKpga_19900018_en_1.htm

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2006/ukpga_20060048_en_7

http://www.sophos.com/pressoffice/news/articles/2008/06/bentley-imprisoned.html

I imagine that using a small pic of Mr Jeremy would come under the fair use policy and be acceptable.

The "fair use" exemption to (U.S.) copyright law was created to allow things such as commentary, parody, news reporting, research and education about copyrighted works without the permission of the author.(maybe its just US law though.)

The bit in bold is correct, there is no fair use exemption in the UK. There are exemptions, but none which amount (in principle/function) to the US fair use exemption.

Not that I do a lot of downloading but whats it to do with our gov if I download somthing from abraod that is not covered by our countries copyright ? supposing I want somthing that isnt copyrighted over here but its classed as downloading copyrighted material anyhow? how would that work ?
Copyright applies internationally, by virtue of the Berne Convention. It does not apply to every single last country, however I doubt P2P users (concerned by this new bit of dictatorial initiative) are based in non-signatory countries at all.

Put simply, if a work (e.g. TV series) is protected by copyright (and there are usually many different types of copyrights, having many respective owners, in a single 'work' of the type shared on P2P networks) in the US, the UK will afford it copyright protection too.

After that bit of clarifying, now who's for a bit of pitchforking/head-chopping/burning down at Berchtesgad... sorry, Westminster? :D

will never happen not down to isp to stop people downloading i will eat my hat if this happens infact i will eat a 100 hats

I bet I could eat 100 hats.