Anyone been to ROSSIS Italian restaurant recently??

Needing some opions :help: its my 40th b'day next Jan and i fancied going to Rossis on Sharrow Lane again for a big get together with 20-25 people for a nice meal. I used to go to Rossis for special occassions like bdays etc, but i have not been for a few years.

Then a few friends said its not as nice anymore or they had a bad meal there its putting me of going for my 40th :confused: . It used to be really enjoyable going there and i liked the food as well as the surroundings. So need some feedback from people who have been recently so i can decide what best to do.

Any other Italians you can recomend for a special meal would also be a help aswell as an alternative.

Thxs for any advice/tips given

Stevejb4u.

Like youself, we used go on special occassions. But the last time we went, a few months ago, it had gone down hill. The food is definitely not as good as it used to be. It's still got a good atmosphere but thats about all.

As for other Italian reatuarants, I would steer clear of the chains. What about Milano's at Millhouses? I've never been but hear the food is good but the owner a little arrogant.

Failing that, Morans, next to Abbeydale Gareden Centre. It's not Italian but has some great food reviews on here and the papers.

Thxs Verona ( very Italian username ) i was hoping to be nearer town as plan to then hit the bars after meal maybe i will have to rethink cusine or just take a gamble????? I will see what other replies or reviews i can find on Rossis in meantime or indeed pay a vist to see for my self if has changed. Been to Milanos its nice but a bit far from centre and means more taxi journeys as i did consider that but thought might be too small for 25 people maybe more???

Thxs again for taking time out and responding.

Cheers

Stevejb4u.

Not Italian either, but have you thought of or tried Le Bistrot Pierre on Ecclesall Rd? They could do a table that size and have an early bird option before 7pm £12.90 for 2 courses. Menus etc can be googled!

Just thought. What about K Pasa, West Street? Its more Spanish than Italian but you get my drift. Also very good at catering for big groups and it recently had a refurb.

Thxs for the suguestions i will check them out, good locations as well.

As long as its a good meal with great choice on menu i will be happy, looks like Rossis is gonna be a no no sadly Unless i do decide to check Rossis out b4making a final choice loads of time yet till January. I think i not been for a while as the last time they insist on getting 2 sittings in an evening. They also wanted us to pre-order from the menu so the chef knows what to prepare when it is a party of 10 or more which can understand but is a pain getting people to decide etc etc in advance.

Thxs again for the feedback.

Steve.

I went to Rossis a few months ago for first time - loved th eItalian decor , the food was ok, the service probably a bit diffident but then I dont know if its just the italian way since it seems to be run by a close italian family for a long time ...

As for other Italian reatuarants, I would steer clear of the chains. What about Milano's at Millhouses? I've never been but hear the food is good but the owner a little arrogant.

I believe the old owner of Rossis now owns Milano's. Though he left Rossis about ten or so years ago!

Thxs guys for feedback really think i am gonna have to decide on a revist before end of year, as i cant decide now what to do for best. It used to be so nice going to Rossis the food i thought was really nice but things do change and when friends tell ya about this and then others do on a forum its hard to decide what to do. I liked Milanos but its 2 far out for me and others if planning to hit the bars in town afterwards.

Guess i will have to book a meal there and decide on the night out if its going to be at Rossis or not then i will consider the alternatives given here or recommended and reserve a table for my big night.

Thxs again

Steve.

Went a few weeks ago and didn't like it. Food was OK, nothing special, but it just didn't feel very friendly or cosy at all. No proper coffees either.

It's a nice building but the whole restaurant experience doesn't live up to it. It could be really good, but it's not.