Abbey Lane Primary vs. Woodseats Primary

I need to apply for my son to attend primary school at the end of this year and we live slap bang in between these two schools. If any of your children attend either one I'd love to hear your opinions.

I understand Woodseats has wraparound care in the form of a breakfast club and afterschool clubs but does Abbey Lane? What time do these end? I work FT so need to ensure there'll be care for my son until I can pick him up.

Any other comments?

Thanks,

Aqua x

HI,

They both good schools have you read the OFSTED reports on both of them?

Im a childminder and I am just looking at this same for one of my parents. Can I ask which one you decided on and why? I am swaying towards abbey lane but because the children have only recently moved into this area it is a choice between a waiting list at abbey lane and a place at woodseats.

Have you visited both the schools, if not then ring for an appointment. Offsted reports are useful but getting a feel of a school is very important. Asked to be shown around by pupils if possible. I'm sure a quick call can also answer the pre/after school club question as well.

Abbey Lane dors not have wrap around care , Woodeats does.

It has a breakfast club 8am until school opens at 8;55

and an after school club from end of school until 6pm.

It also provides clubs in the school holiday's.

Living on a road where we had some children attending both schools all I would add is most children do stay in their school friendships so, don't expect them to be friends with your neighbours children because they live nextdoor if they attend a different school because even at a very young age they are submitted to "peer" pressure.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm going to make appointments to see both when half term is over, although to be fair I reckon he won't get into Abbey Lane anyway as it's always so over subscribed. However the breakfast and after schools clubs at Woodseats sound really useful - I didn't realise they finish as late as 6pm (even though I don't finish work until 5.30 and it takes me more than 30 mins to get home!). Some very useful info there, thanks. x

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm going to make appointments to see both when half term is over, although to be fair I reckon he won't get into Abbey Lane anyway as it's always so over subscribed. However the breakfast and after schools clubs at Woodseats sound really useful - I didn't realise they finish as late as 6pm (even though I don't finish work until 5.30 and it takes me more than 30 mins to get home!). Some very useful info there, thanks. x

Every school has to offer wrap around care by 2010. I believe Abbey Lane have an outside company running an after school club. Schools either run the care themselves, through a separate school linked company or through a private outside company.

Wow, I didn't know that, thanks! Still not sure he'd get into Abbey Lane as it's not quite our catchment school (by 1 road, typical!), but will definitely go and look round.

Cant tell what they like now, but l went to Abbey Lane School 1949-1954, and my dad went to woodseats school in 1917-till he left school at 14, both of us turned out ok.

there`s also St thomas of canterbury infants and junior school, in the area.

there`s also St thomas of canterbury infants and junior school, in the area.

Thats a RC school but I've no idea if there are places left for non catholics.

Good school though.