Silverwood colliery (rotherham)

does anyone remember this place? it's been filled in now and turned in to a nature reserve

i live just around the corner and find it quite interesting with the history, ghost stories etc! and my grandad worked there for most of his life

anyone have any info or interesting stories?

My grandfather was a miner at Silverwood and was killed in the 1966 Paddy Train crash

I used to work for the Yorkshire Water Authority in the late 70's and when I worked from the Wickersley Depot on Flash Lane we would often go to the Silverwood canteen for our breakfast and sometimes dinner. Always got on well with the miners, smashing down to earth lads.

My grandfather, great grandfather and great uncle worked there, clocking up over 100 years service between them. Pathe made a film about them in either 1967 or early 1968 (the year my great grandma died). Id love to see it but keep hitting blanks

MY wife's father started working there at the age of 14 as a pony driver and worked all his life down the pit until he had to finish due to ill health. He loved his job.

There is quite a lot of information on this website

http://johndoxey.100freemb.com/

scroll down and on your right click on Silverwood Mine

Edited by stewart123

My Grandfather worked at this mine. He died there in 1963 in an accident. His name was Albert Merrills.

I worked for Head Wrightsons Shefield and helped to commission the coal preparation plant at Silverwood. Early seventies.

Hi my grandfather worked there we lived at 53 Park Lane Thryburgh. I later lived on Vale Road and went to the little hundred school. Any one remember my grand father Frank Doughty.

Was Sllverwood linked with Treeton underground ? My grandfather worked at Treeton and talked about blokes from Silverwood a lot.