Sun tanned kids!

We've just got back from a couple of weeks in Greece and something has been niggling me since then and I was just interested in what other people thought....

While we were there we were really careful about making sure my 7 year old always had high factor sun cream on when out in the sun, and made her wear one of those "protective" sun-suits while in the pool etc. But there was another family staying near us with a 7 year old and a 3 year old - who only ever wore bikini pants, and spent the whole day out in the sun. Apparently they "weren't allowed" to wear proper swimming costumes or full bikini's because their mum wanted them to get an all over tan (just like hers!)

While its obviously none of my business - it has been niggling me a bit, as to me that seems like a form of child abuse. What does anyone else think?

That is pretty sick - we've not taken DD abroad yet but when we do she'll be wearing factor 50. I do think its quite cruel, children shouldn't be tanning IMO.. Any damage done to their skin at the age they are will be with them for a lifetime. I remember going on holiday when I was 11 with my Dad and his wife and getting extremely sunburned on the first day, and it ruined my whole holiday, just because neither my Dad nor his wife felt the need to put suncream on any of the five children present (in Majorca, in the middle of August... The youngest child was about four!)

My 4 year old always wears factor 50, hat and sunglasses. We went to Turkey a few weeks ago and it was 43 degrees but I think he has come back whiter than when he went!!!

I don't think there's any need for kids to have a suntan and there's nothing worse than geting burnt.

Dont judge all parents with suntanned kids my son wears factor 50 and he still tans but my daughter stays white as a sheet!!!

Dont judge all parents with suntanned kids my son wears factor 50 and he still tans but my daughter stays white as a sheet!!!

My 16 month boy has a bit of a glow! I think it is due to all the playing outdoors he does but as soon as the sun is out factor 50 straight on and he still tans then! Glad someone else is the same!

We've just got back from a couple of weeks in Greece and something has been niggling me since then and I was just interested in what other people thought....

While we were there we were really careful about making sure my 7 year old always had high factor sun cream on when out in the sun, and made her wear one of those "protective" sun-suits while in the pool etc. But there was another family staying near us with a 7 year old and a 3 year old - who only ever wore bikini pants, and spent the whole day out in the sun. Apparently they "weren't allowed" to wear proper swimming costumes or full bikini's because their mum wanted them to get an all over tan (just like hers!)

While its obviously none of my business - it has been niggling me a bit, as to me that seems like a form of child abuse. What does anyone else think?

Were the children sunburnt? In distress? If the answer is no, then I'd suggest that 'child abuse' is putting it rather strongly.

my 6 month old has got a tan.. he aint really hes just got nice tanned coloured skin hard 2 describe. hes never been in the sun apart from other day with factor 50 i would neva dream of not using suncream and thats with our rubbish weather.. abroad!!!!!!!!!! bet the mums got suncream on

If letting a child get a tan (not letting it burn) is child abuse, then most of the children living in most of the world are abused.

Which kinda suggests that it isn't abuse in any way.

Are we at risk of taking the dangers of the sun a bit too far, like we have done with cleanliness? Allergies are on the rise because children aren't exposed to 'normal' environmental pathogens (dirt) at an early age. What will a child become if their skin has never reacted to the sun, albino vampires only safe to go out at night...

I'm wearing factor 50 and 30 at the moment, but I intend to come home with a tan, I don't see if I had a child with me, why my intentions should be any different for them.

If letting a child get a tan (not letting it burn) is child abuse, then most of the children living in most of the world are abused.

Which kinda suggests that it isn't abuse in any way.

Are we at risk of taking the dangers of the sun a bit too far, like we have done with cleanliness? Allergies are on the rise because children aren't exposed to 'normal' environmental pathogens (dirt) at an early age. What will a child become if their skin has never reacted to the sun, albino vampires only safe to go out at night...

I'm wearing factor 50 and 30 at the moment, but I intend to come home with a tan, I don't see if I had a child with me, why my intentions should be any different for them.

because childrens skin is more delecte which is y its recomended to only use factor 50 for them. my son is exposed to everything but the sun as i dont want him being a 5 yr old with skin cancer

My kids have got a tan through wearing Factor 50 ....

Unless you know for a FACT that the mother was not creaming the kids up before exposure I think it's a pretty harsh comment !!!

If kids burn then that's wrong ...but a child with a suntan does not mean a neglected child !

I wasn't judging parents with tanned kids or criticising the idea of kids with a sun tan - my child is reasonably tanned too! It was the idea of telling them that they can't cover up because she wants them to have an all over tan, that I didn't like. Kids getting tans because they are out and about in the sun (but with sun cream on) is inevitable and I don't have a problem with that, but planning to have a nicely tanned child (with no strap marks, etc) seems a bit wrong to me.

The older child asked to put on her bikini top and was told she couldn't - but at 7, does it matter that she has "white bits" - surely its more about enjoying being out in the sunshine?

Edited by rachelg

because childrens skin is more delecte which is y its recomended to only use factor 50 for them. my son is exposed to everything but the sun as i dont want him being a 5 yr old with skin cancer

I said that I was wearing factor 50, and I've still got a tan. Tanning does not mean you're going to have skin cancer, burning increases the risk, tanning is just your skins natural response.