Benefit Busters - Channel 4

I like the fact Sheree earned £2k per month (without the £300 bonus)!! That's more than Policemen, Nurses, Firemen, allsorts- for what? Sitting at a desk looking vacant and trying to force people into unsuitable jobs for her own bonus? What the hell is up with this country!

Also, the lad's own dad was earlier seen to be fed up of him being a dossabout, having no drive, yet at the end when the benefits had been cut, he was furious, saying the lad couldn't work... eh?!?!

Felt a bit sorry for the woman with depression and anxiety who had been abused, and the guy who had worked for himself most of his life as a painter/decorator but had to stop due to having an op on his foot was it? The women didn't seem interested in him at all and even admitted she thought he was too old at 57 to bother going into anything else and didn't have high hopes for him returning to the trade he loved.

Yeah I was agreeing with him all the way.

Then at the end I couldn't believe the crap he was coming out with when his sons benefits had been cut. He went from saying "he needs to get out there and get a job" to "he cant get a job and needs benefits". So that just confirmed to me that Kieren was faking it and unsurprising to see that the "Health Advisor" thought the same. Id imagine his dad was getting irate about it all in the end because he will of been pocketing some of the cash.

I like the fact Sheree earned £2k per month (without the £300 bonus)!! That's more than Policemen, Nurses, Firemen, allsorts- for what? Sitting at a desk looking vacant and trying to force people into unsuitable jobs for her own bonus? What the hell is up with this country!

Also, the lad's own dad was earlier seen to be fed up of him being a dossabout, having no drive, yet at the end when the benefits had been cut, he was furious, saying the lad couldn't work... eh?!?!

Felt a bit sorry for the woman with depression and anxiety who had been abused, and the guy who had worked for himself most of his life as a painter/decorator but had to stop due to having an op on his foot was it? The women didn't seem interested in him at all and even admitted she thought he was too old at 57 to bother going into anything else and didn't have high hopes for him returning to the trade he loved.

Yes I was surprised at the 2K also and even more surprised when she said "come on then who's fed up of being skint coz I know I am" 2K a month my God :o:mad:

Yes his Dad contradicted himself didnt saying that he was fed up with him being at home and having to get him outta bed etc ...then when they took his money off him calling them all names under the sun - the idiot.

I noticed when he was with the woman who was assessing him as to how fit he was he was in agony when he tried to get back up from bending over and had to get his mummy to help him back up but yet was willing to show other people later on in the show what he can do with his back and never had a problem with getting back up or walking either - strange that isn't it?! Bless him.

Final episode tonight on C4 at 9.00 pm.

Record it, cos if it shows A4e in their true light Emma will have it 'pulled'.

Emma had little or no say in what went out in the programme and certainly couldn't have 'pulled' it. She is clever but doesn't have that amount of influence. When you agree to take part in this kind of pogramme you generally have to go along with whatever the programme makers decide.

.." its better an office job/or the education goes to someone who wants work

This is really well put, quote of the thread for me.

I can find a write up on the episode but cant find anywhere to actually 'view' it - have I missed it somewhere?? I watched episode 1 and 3 but typically missed 2 :(

Go to Channel four website and go to 4oD http://www.channel4.com/programmes/benefit-busters/4od#2935220

Try the above link

My final (promise!) thoughts on this:

I've come across this, which is a 'readers comments' on the Guardian website. The comments pretty much back up what most have been saying.

However, one comment did get me thinking.

As anyone who has visited/driven past any Job Centre can testify, the number of ethnics among the clientele is striking - probably 50-70%.

Yet how many of these were seen on Benefit Busters or at A4e? Precisely.

While I can't say what Channel 4s agenda was, I do know for a fact that the Job Centres are very, very selective who they send to these scams.

Attitudes to unemployment need to change, we need to go back to the time when there was a real stigma to being unemployed. Unemployed people who refuse to work should be treated as outcasts and have their benefits withdrawn and left to starve. In the USA there is a real stigma to unemployment and benefits are so low that it is not wortwhile to be lazy. The benefits in this country are far too generous. I find it offensive that somebody who sits around doing nothing all day is better off than me and I work full time. When people are better off on benefits than working for minimum wage at Poundland then there is something seriously wrong with this this country's morals.

Edited by marshlad

My final (promise!) thoughts on this:

I've come across this, which is a 'readers comments' on the Guardian website. The comments pretty much back up what most have been saying.

However, one comment did get me thinking.

As anyone who has visited/driven past any Job Centre can testify, the number of ethnics among the clientele is striking - probably 50-70%.

Yet how many of these were seen on Benefit Busters or at A4e? Precisely.

While I can't say what Channel 4s agenda was, I do know for a fact that the Job Centres are very, very selective who they send to these scams.

A lot of people who are from foreign backgrounds are sent on ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) courses when they become eligible for JSA. They will, of course, still have to sign on.

These are not run by A4E, and are not part of the New Deal programme which was the core basis of the series. You must also realise that apart from the second programme where they followed the mandatory referrals, the programmes looked at schemes which are voluntary. People are only 'sent' if they are eligible for the mandatory schemes.

Equally, not everyone who attends a Jobcentre Plus office is claiming benefits. For example, in Cavendish Court, National Insurance numbers are issued, thus allowing people to work.

Don't get me wrong, I still think A4E are crap, but there really is no 'agenda' within Jobcentre Plus as to who attends New Deal courses.

Attitudes to unemployment need to change, we need to go back to the time when there was a real stigma to being unemployed. Unemployed people who refuse to work should be treated as outcasts and have their benefits withdrawn and left to starve. In the USA there is a real stigma to unemployment and benefits are so low that it is not wortwhile to be lazy. The benefits in this country are far too generous. I find it offensive that somebody who sits around doing nothing all day is better off than me and I work full time. When people are better off on benefits than working for minimum wage at Poundland then there is something seriously wrong with this this country's morals.

Very unlikely. But if you believe this why not pack in your job and claim yourself rather than be jelous of those who do.

BTW - if you work so hard haow come you have time to post on here. Me thinks you are a slacker and like to swing the lead a bit at work.