Carbrook School

We moved to Blackstock Road for a couple of years and then returned. I lived at 138 until it was knocked down when they cleared the area. Just to add to my last post: One of the names I remember was Lewis Bower, his parents had the corner shop opposite the school entrance. I was friends with Lewis.

hello les i was at carbrook c of e i see lew bower a lot he lives at frecheville the same as me

Thanks for letting me know. Give my regards to Lew when you next see him. I'd like to think he remembers me, but he may not. We were very young and I moved to another Coleridge Road School; I saw Lew in my teens at least once and we knew each other. You live near my brother Ray who lives in Aston. I visit him from time to time. Last I knew, Lew had gone to live somewhere on the Manor, but we all move around a bit. Apart from a few years in York, I've lived most of my adult life in and around London but in quite a few places.

Did we know ueach other? I now think I remember your first name and family name but can't recollect anyone of that comdination of names in my classes. One way or another, we all knew each other to a degree degree of friendship. But, I'm not good at remembering names. I remember Lew because I like him a lot and Tony Barlow because our Parents used to know each other because they drank in the same pub occasionally. (I had a Step Dad and so my mother was known as Mrs Travis). There was a Fred Green that I was friendly with and someone called Pike who I remember because we bumped into each other when our families happened to have took a holiday at the same resort.

It's been good trying to piece together memories and make a coherent pattern. I'm sad that the physical props of memory have long since been demolished although the roads are still there and the weir on the river Don looks much the same. Tell Lew I hope he and his are well and happy. The same goes for you.

hi les i think i got it wrong its john bower who lives near me but his nickname was always lew fred green is on a thread for carbrook school askin for old friends to get in touch i think it would be dennis pike you know i bumped into him a couple of years ago we lived at the bottom of luton street n my friends were dennis otter n frank n george schofield roger houlston les marriott kieth socket n the stansby brothers pleased you are keeping well take care

Thanks for the update. Yes, it was Dennis Pike. I remember now. All the other names are familiar too. I think I was friends with Keith Socket at one time. Regards

hi les i think i got it wrong its john bower who lives near me but his nickname was always lew fred green is on a thread for carbrook school askin for old friends to get in touch i think it would be dennis pike you know i bumped into him a couple of years ago we lived at the bottom of luton street n my friends were dennis otter n frank n george schofield roger houlston les marriott kieth socket n the stansby brothers pleased you are keeping well take care
I remember most of them keith socket used to live near me so remember him and across from him was Dorothy socket and George and billy socket also the strut family and many more xx

Carbrook C/E Rothwell family: John 58-64, Carole 59-65, David 60-66, Steven 63-69, Andrew 64-70, Howard 65-71.

Carbrook C/E Rothwell family: John 58-64, Carole 59-65, David 60-66, Steven 63-69, Andrew 64-70, Howard 65-71.

if I remember wright Howard was in my class at school

I started at Carbrook School age five in 1975 I remember ny first day I cryed Mrs Reed sat me on her knee and said your mum will come back who were the others teachers there I was there till 1977 loved that School also

My elder brother is Ray Johnson (I'm Les Johnson 3 years younger). One of his friends was Ian Kemp who I knew because they let me hang out with them from time to time in the school holidays. Ray lives in Cole Aston now.

---------- Post added 14-11-2013 at 07:19 ----------

Hi Fred, I think I remember you. Did you have sandy blond hair? Or, light brown? I'm not sure if we were friends, in the sense of going to each other's house, but for some reason I have this strong image of what I take to be you as a boy; were we in the same class? I was in a class with a Len Johnson, no relation to me, Les Johnson. I went to the infants school and junior school but left to go to Coleridge Road for senior school. But, I still lived in Carbrook Street for many years. I have seen a photo of one of our classes on Friends United. I think you're in it. There's quite a few faces I recognize. Look up the school name in FU and you should find the photo. Regards

Hello LesJ

You mention living in Carbrook area, what year would that be ?

You mention a mate called Ian Kemp. Did he live on Barking Street by the Firth Derihon factory.

I worked at Derihon in the 1961 to 1964 period and a lad called Dale Kemp used to be around, think he would be about 6/8 years in those days.

What ever happened to Dale Kemp , again a blonde haired lad , must have been the younger brother of Ian

Gary Marshman

North Wales

I lived at 138 Carbrook Street which was just past the weirs head as you walked down from the 'cliffe. 12 houses past Rothwell's papershop. Reading around a bit, I realise that of course there were a few Kemps and I might be mistaken about it being Ian Kemp, although I think it was. I think his street was a dead-end street off the 'cliffe that backed onto the rec' near the Carbrook Hall. Don't remember the name of the street. The boys of the family had light hair, perhaps blonde. I don't remember Ian physically too well, I'm sorry to say. His nick name was Kempy.

Les