Carbrook School

Blink,

Further to your interest in your factory and previous use, I mentioned Barking Street leading onto Carbrook Street, and the pub was the New Inn , which are your offices now .This jogged my memory as the pub . The Carbrook Hall pub was on Attercliffe Common.

Did you utilise the existing Heat Treatment facilities from Firth Derihon or any of the other equipment , such as Drop Stamps or Forging machines , when you took over the factory?

Gary Marshman

North Wales

As far as I can work out, we bought the building more or less as a shell. the offices were demolished, and rebuilt at the opposite end. The factory was then extended over the old offices . There was a small brick foremans office half way down, inside the warehouse, built up to the wall that faced Barking Street. Looking into it further, it seems that Derihons moved to Darley Dale, and thats the cause of the dunlop street works closing, so I would imagine all their machinery went with them. Derihons had a 1500kW electricity supply, which is pretty large, and would indicate electric furnaces. All our furnaces are natural gas and can take up to 30 tonnes on a charge

The old school wall still remains in part on Carbrook Street, and you can see where there was a gate, now bricked up. Bizzarely, the old school gate has been saved and is stashed away. On the inside of the school wall, someone has written in white paint 'no parking' I'm not sure how old this is, but I think it predates our factory as we built the heat treatment facility on the site of the school in about 1969. We kept part of the school cellars for a while, as storage, until the site was extended again, I think in the late 70s, early 80s.

Does anyone remember the buzzing electrical gear across the road inbetween the big factory? (think it was Jessop Saville)

Blink,

I have switched your theme over to Firth-Derihon Stampings which is more appropriate to your theme, diverse from the School topic

Gary Marshman

North Wales

I attended Carbrook C of E school from 1965 to 1972, people in my class over the years included:-

Sandra Ashmore, Patricia Crompton, Dale Bolam, Joan Bradley, Robert Etherton, Ian Golland, Janet Gratton, Ray Johnson, Trevor Jones, Ian Kemp, Phillip Lavender, Andrea Mather, Gail Marriott, Paul Neil, Gaynor Collins, Mandy Platts, Janice Piper, Jeanette Partoon, Gillian Priestley, Kim Palmer, Angela Pack, Howard Rothwell, Michael Rick, Gary Roebuck, Marie Shale, Jennifer Sockett, Julie Simpson, Karen Swindells, Kurt Sanderson, Yvonne Stevens, Sylvia Thompson.

Carbrook was a fantastic place to live and grow up in, and I loved every minute of it.

Hi newburn,

Do you know me. And who are you.some of the names you mentioned was in my class.

My mother went to Carbrook School, though a bit earlier than this. Joan Peacock was her name. She also has a sister Hilda, brothers Malcolm, George and Geoff. I forget the name of the street...there was an old joiners workshop on the corner and it met Broughton Lane near the Bird in Hand. It may have begun with 'M' and ran opposite to Raven something street. The Twiggs lived in the same yard. Any help would be a help to but some names together, it holds good memories for me

It was Melville Road

can any 1 remember going to sports days

---------- Post added 08-07-2013 at 17:01 ----------

I attended Carbrook C of E school from 1965 to 1972, people in my class over the years included:-

Sandra Ashmore, Patricia Crompton, Dale Bolam, Joan Bradley, Robert Etherton, Ian Golland, Janet Gratton, Ray Johnson, Trevor Jones, Ian Kemp, Phillip Lavender, Andrea Mather, Gail Marriott, Paul Neil, Gaynor Collins, Mandy Platts, Janice Piper, Jeanette Partoon, Gillian Priestley, Kim Palmer, Angela Pack, Howard Rothwell, Michael Rick, Gary Roebuck, Marie Shale, Jennifer Sockett, Julie Simpson, Karen Swindells, Kurt Sanderson, Yvonne Stevens, Sylvia Thompson.

Carbrook was a fantastic place to live and grow up in, and I loved every minute of it.

hi Newburn how have you manage to remember all these names, they have managed to bring a lot of smiles :) to my face. can you remember the fireworks displays we used to have in the infants

Yes I remember the fireworks in the infants, I also remember a lad in the juniors getting the slipper from Mr Cornthwaite when he walked in the classroom and caught him looking out of the window watching the fireworks display instead of getting on with his school work. Does anybody remember Mr Cornthwaite's Fridayites list? This was a list of pupils he thought had pulled a 'sickie' on Friday to give themselves a long weekend, he then proceeded to read out all the names at Monday assembly to the embarrassment of anyone who had the misfortune to be ill on a Friday. Even if I had a temperature that could boil water I made sure I was never off school on a friday.

Yes I remember the fireworks in the infants, I also remember a lad in the juniors getting the slipper from Mr Cornthwaite when he walked in the classroom and caught him looking out of the window watching the fireworks display instead of getting on with his school work. Does anybody remember Mr Cornthwaite's Fridayites list? This was a list of pupils he thought had pulled a 'sickie' on Friday to give themselves a long weekend, he then proceeded to read out all the names at Monday assembly to the embarrassment of anyone who had the misfortune to be ill on a Friday. Even if I had a temperature that could boil water I made sure I was never off school on a friday.[/quote hi I remember mr cornthwaite although I left in 1959 but yes remember his fridayite list also remember mr bishop and miss haydock and mrs sanderson mr glen j

Thanks: I remember so many of the names you mentioned that were in your classes at Carbrook CofE; my brothers name Ray Johnson was amongst them. Ray is 3 years older than me. My name is Les. We lived at 138 Carbrook Street in the next yard but one to Rotherwell's paper shop. There was another family called Johnson who lived further down the street and a son named Len was the same age as me. We were in the same call at one time and were sometimes confused in people's minds. Ray was in the school a lot longer than I and that's - I guess - is why I remember his class mates names more than mine. Apart from Len, I remember Tony Barlow (nicknamed Barr Lamb), Louis ?, Fred Green, ? Pike, Alice ?, John Bell. There's a class photo somewhere in Friends Reunited.

Thanks: I remember so many of the names you mentioned that were in your classes at Carbrook CofE; my brothers name Ray Johnson was amongst them. Ray is 3 years older than me. My name is Les. We lived at 138 Carbrook Street in the next yard but one to Rotherwell's paper shop. There was another family called Johnson who lived further down the street and a son named Len was the same age as me. We were in the same call at one time and were sometimes confused in people's minds. Ray was in the school a lot longer than I and that's - I guess - is why I remember his class mates names more than mine. Apart from Len, I remember Tony Barlow (nicknamed Barr Lamb), Louis ?, Fred Green, ? Pike, Alice ?, John Bell. There's a class photo somewhere in Friends Reunited.

are you the same johnsons that moved to tinsley