Carbrook School

bev c what was your mums maiden name

fred,do you remember murfy,nickname spud

yes yes yes he was my best best mate iv'e been trying to fined him any info would be incredible

Fred.

If it is the same murphy that I know, he is a bit of a lad but with a heart of gold.

Proper name is Malcolm Murphy and one of his best mates is Stevie Ward. Also Knows Harry Smith?

If you contact

Carbrook Conservative Club on Broughton Lane, Sheffield

S9

Tel 01142 442668

and leave a mEssage it should get to him as he and Stevie go in there on a regular basis.

Do you remember Irene Smith. Steve Jervis, Ray Mchale

its david murphy im looking for acctualy.dont know anyone on that page sorry

it was not me who remembered spud,it was my uncle eric {your cousin,}who used to knock about with you and spud,so we must be second cousins.

hi dave this is ricky freds son got some questions from fred for u . if the eric you refer to kirton as my cousen hes not but if he had a stutter and worked in a abattoir in 63-64 then that was my mate . do you know this spuds full name? the spud i knew was david murphy does that match he worked with me at john bedfords rolling mills. got some names of class mates to help make a match...margert myers/ margret baines/ann hepworth/donald athey/neil ramsded. ps. please tell me more about your uncle. ask any questions please

Hello,

Just browsing through the topics. As far as I know, my mum is still in touch with Margret Baines. And if you know Pat Bray, I think she is regestered on 'Friends and Family.' My mum is called Violet Rawson, and was one of the Rayworth family ... the daughter of Violet Rayworth (Whyman) who lived on Warden Street. She is also the cousin of the Joyce and Tom Rick who lived on Bright Street.

Don't know if you already know, but there are get-togethers at the Carbrook Hall a couple of times a year for those that were born and/or lived in Carbrook.

Just an added bit, I also went to Carbrook C of E, but I was only born in 1966.

Damkina

Is Carbrook Cof E school the same school as "Carbrook School" (Now the players cafe) that stands (stood) between Terry street (and Carbrook Rec) and Carltonville Road, on't 'cliffe?

if so, it was the school that my mother and her brother and sisters attended in the 40's and 50s. My mother's family lived on Carltonville Road, opposite the school. My grandpa's yard was accessed via Melville Rd.

My uncle was Frank Monks, (b April 1942, d July 1973)

My mother was Irene Monks, (b oct 1943, d sept 1984)

My aunts were Janet and Dorothy Monks, (as they are still living, I will be polite about their dates of birth! lol)

Frank went to Central Grammar (IIRC) and my mother and her sisters went to Coleridge Road secondary school when they were older.

PT

I think they might be different schools, but I'll mention it to Mum tomorrow and see if she recognises the names. Carbrook C of E was on the very end of Bright Street... can't remember the name of the road it was actually on.

My Dad went to Coleridge Road though. Albert Rawson and they lived on Century Street.

Damkina

Plain Talker

Is Carbrook Cof E school the same school as "Carbrook School" (Now the players cafe) that stands (stood) between Terry street (and Carbrook Rec) and Carltonville Road, on't 'cliffe?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi Plain Talker.

No, these are entirly different schools. carbrook C of E, the main gates was on Dunlop Street, Infants + Juniors was on Albert Street and the Services gates was on Carbrook Street.

the other school you mentioned is called CARBROOK BOARD SCHOOL was on Attercliffe common which run adjacent to Terry Street, and the back of Carbrook school faced Terry Street Park.

where there was a bowling green, tennis courts, a football pitch,and a nursery for pre school children. in latter life of the school, it was used as a youth club and a night school, after which it became derelict. the girls and infants was demolished to leave the boys school which became the players cafe. The part of the demolished school bacame a carpark for the sheffield arena as it now stands today.

my mother went there also and she says that she and others had to walk to maltby road school for cooking lessons as there was no facilities at carbrook board school . My husband, went to carbrook c of e and they used the board school as a youth club. on their home they would call at Toms drink shop.