Have cub scout groups declined?

I remember growing up in Sheffield 8 during the 70's and there seemed to be plenty of Cub, Scout and Guide groups locally etc, not to mention the 'Bob-a-job' days? This probably panned out across the city.

But now, have their numbers declined? And if so, is it due to modern lifestyles, ie. internet, gaming, gangs, etc?

The local pack (180th Millhouses) is over subscribed. They have enough kids on the waiting list to start up a second pack.

The problem though is a chronic shortage of leaders. That is the same with the Scout troops as well.

The only reason any cub packs have closed is due to lack of Leaders. Those lucky enough to get a Leader have long waiting lists. Likewise Scouts and Ventures. There could be almost 3 times the numbers of children in Scouts if there was only the Leaders to run them.

Absolutely not! Cubs, Scouts, Brownies & Guides are booming, the only problem is the lack of leaders preventing kids getting off waiting lists. Some parents would rather drop them off with what they see as a glorified babysitting service than come along, get involved & have a lot of fun

my scout group has lost three leaders in the last year and getting parents to help and come to meetings is a night mare.

so if you want to keep the scouts going why not have a go at helping out at meetings

it is great fun the kids love it.

Seems to be a certain generation at fault, or is it fear of CRB checks?

Seems to be a certain generation at fault, or is it fear of CRB checks?

nah its the in pack back biting and politics that spoils it - always has and always will.

I think its the fact that many people work long hours. But generally a lot of parents just can't be bothered. They see it as a way of getting rid of the children for a few hours and possibly some weekends. They tend to leave their children and run. Many parents also seem to think Leaders are paid and have no other job. Neither is true. Safety rules now state there has to be a certain number of adults present according to the age and number of beavers cubs scouts etc.. Scout Leaders often have to cancel sessions because there are not enough adults present. If all parents offered one to two nights a year to make up the adult numbers it would make all

the difference. That really isn't much to ask is it?

I'm there when I can. Its great fun and cos I'm the youngest bloke get to do all the cool stuff like lighting the fireworks on bonfire night!

My Brownie unit always has a full waiting list, and we have many units (Rainbows, Brownies & Guides) within our district. The problem most areas seem to have is getting volunteers to run the units. Without volunteers we can't open units or keep current units open, which means they look like they are declining.

You also don't hear as much about them anymore, as it can be deemed as "sad" by youngsters peers if they admit to attending Guiding, despite all the fab opportunities they get.

I used to do Rainbows and Brownies but left before Girl Guides as I reached the age where I understood I was getting dragged into religious activities and I knew I strongly disagreed with it.