Frecheville shops of days gone by.

I remember dr. murrey plain as day!he drove a big rover90 and always wore yellow knitted gloves.like brian said he had a bloody great skeleton standing in the corner of his surgery my mam said i would end up looking like that if i didn,t eat me greens!!!

Right at the end next to Dells there was an launderette which as a child my mother used to drag us too - later in became a video shop - now it's a chip shop

In the late 60's I remember that Mrs Sidey (?) managed the launderette; I used to play football with her son Shaun on the small "field" next to the community centre. Goalposts were any bit of clothing that we could take off and the ball was some old tennis ball.

We lived on Burbage Grove & we backed on to the scout hut & the red hills - we played many hours football on a small patch of grass there. One freind who joined in was Ian Reddington of TV Eastenders frame.

We lived on Burbage Grove & we backed on to the scout hut & the red hills - we played many hours football on a small patch of grass there. One freind who joined in was Ian Reddington of TV Eastenders frame.

Ian Reddington of Eastenders; I didn't know that he came from Frecheville.

I thought that the only "famous" person from Frecheville was Neil Warnock (football) who must have been 3-5 years older than me. As a child I was allowed to play cricket with him and David Fox. The game was played on David's path leading from the front door up the side of his house to the back door.

There was also a girl who went off to become a Bluebell dancer, when she returned to Frecheville she helped stage a can-can dance routine for a Summer show at the community centre. I think she was called Elaine Hibbertson and her parents must have lived on Hopefield Avenue next to the "genal" that cut through to the schools. I only remember this as one of the dancers was a neighbour called Marilyn Ward.

Anyone else famous/well known from Frecheville?

Ian lived just around the corner from me at Rowdale Crescen or the frying pan as we used to call it - I played football for Neil Warnock brother John he managed Parkgate Steels.

Well you all got me going now, I can remember Shentalls and the tins of loose biscuits around knee level, with glass in the lids, tilted towards you. When did anyone last buy any loose biscuits?

And the bank, yes I remember the oak counter which I could just about see over, and the shiny leaflets on it. Was it the 'Trustee Savings Bank' as it then was? I had a money box like a small book, with a slot for coins and a hole for rolled up notes . . . and only the bank had the key!

I used to have my hair cut at Eddie Lyons' by a chap called Cal - not one of the world's great hairdressers. I can remember the combs hanging on the wall on a card, the 'Bacterol' steriliser, the Styptic Pencils also on a card on the wall (I never did know what they were, and I'm not sure I do even now), the radio incessantly playing Radio 2 (or the Light Programme as it then was), the large barber's chairs in bright red mock leather. No idea what it cost - would two bob be about right?

The fish and chip shop would be considered a work of art now - shiny green and black with chrome trim, wasn't it?

Was the butcher's called Vardey's?

I live near Reading now, and have not lived in Sheffield since 1974, but I'm feeling very nostalgic indeed!

Styptic pencils were used to stem the flow of blood!!! I remeber my father using them when he cut himself shaving.

Styptic pencils were used to stem the flow of blood!!!
Yep - they used to use them (and sell them) at barber's shops. And you can still buy them, here for example..:)

What memories I worked in Styans and dels Was 15 when i started at Styans now im 62

I worked in the haberdashery shop when I left school, it was supposed to fill in the time til i went to pre -nursing college. I hated it!! think i only stayed a couple of weeks, went out for my dinner and never went back. I remember mother asking me howwork had been and i said ok then got a clip from her as the manager had been to our house with my wages and told her i`d only been in one day that week. ouch!! she made me go out and get another job for 4 weeks til i went to college